Gibson Brands Forums

USA price increased

gibsonmad

59 minutes ago, 10PoundLester said:

Unions.

You know, just saying, if you don’t want to play by the union impacts, you are free to work on Labor day, then for 12 hours a day for 6 or seven days a week, for 1 dollar a day, with no insurance, vacation/sick leave, overtime, unemployment, or workers comp protections.  Your employer will adore you.  (And I’m writing this as a business owner who is perfectly happy being “forced” to offer my employees a livable, modern work life.) 

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, PrairieDog said:

You know, just saying, if you don’t want to play by the union impacts, you are free to work on Labor day, then for 12 hours a day for 6 or seven days a week, for 1 dollar a day, with no insurance, vacation/sick leave, overtime, unemployment, or workers comp protections.  Your employer will adore you.  (And I’m writing this as a business owner who is perfectly happy being “forced” to offer my employees a livable, modern work life.) 

I had one union job (for about a year and a half) in my entire life, and the rest of the jobs, I didn't.  Never once did I have those working conditions at a union or non union job.

Even when I was in the military, I earned more than one dollar a day,

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

29 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I had one union job (for about a year and a half) in my entire life, and the rest of the jobs, I didn't.  Never once did I have those working conditions at a union or non union job.

Even when I was in the military, I earned more than one dollar a day,

Of course you didn’t, because union folks  back in the 19th and 20th century literally laid down their lives so we could have weekends off,  8 hour days, and safe(r) job sites.  People have mostly forgotten the bloody history behind fair wages and livable work conditions.  

The Italian Hall Massacre is just one instance where anti-union folks went to extremes.  75 people died, many  were children, when an anti-union activist shouted “fire” at a Labor sponsored Christmas party.  Strikers were often shot upon by militias and police, 

The blood was shed on both sides, but in the end,  it was the union strikes, and egregious deaths, that ended the robber baron stranglehold on workers and exploitation that I mentioned above. 

It is partly government protections that arose out of the strikes and part pure market forces that cause non-union shops to toe the line with union benefits.  Owners know if you don’t treat your workers fairly, they can always walk out.  

This is why efforts at union busting is so dangerous for even non-union employees, and why we have seen slips in protections over the past few decades.  Once the owners get the idea they can squeeze their employees a little more, without repercussions, there is no reason not to see how far they can push it.  

I’m not a union shop, but I treat our employees as if we were because they could always either jump to one, and I want to stave off the disruption if they felt they needed to start one here.  

Edited by PrairieDog
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, PrairieDog said:

Of course you didn’t, because union folks  back in the 19th and 20th century literally laid down their lives so we could have weekends off,  8 hour days, and safe(r) job sites.  People have mostly forgotten the bloody history behind fair wages and livable work conditions.  

The Italian Hall Massacre is just one instance where anti-union folks went to extremes.  75 people died, many  were children, when an anti-union activist shouted “fire” at a Labor sponsored Christmas party.  Strikers were often shot upon by militias and police, 

The blood was shed on both sides, but in the end,  it was the union strikes, and egregious deaths, that ended the robber baron stranglehold on workers and exploitation that I mentioned above. 

It is partly government protections that arose out of the strikes and part pure market forces that cause non-union shops to toe the line with union benefits.  Owners know if you don’t treat your workers fairly, they can always walk out.  

This is why efforts at union busting is so dangerous for even non-union employees, and why we have seen slips in protections over the past few decades.  Once the owners get the idea they can squeeze their employees a little more, without repercussions, there is no reason not to see how far they can push it.  

I’m not a union shop, but I treat our employees as if we were because they could always either jump to one, and I want to stave off the disruption if they felt they needed to start one here.  

I'm cool with sending kids to work. I did my time at the grindstone.

3 hours ago, PrairieDog said:

This is what the youth of today should focus on, rather than naughty words that bruise the feelings of oversensitive folks on the goddamn internet.

On 2/12/2024 at 10:28 AM, Sgt. Pepper said:

Think so? I don't. Used stuff maybe? Not new ____________________ (insert makers name here).

Gibson.

Remember when Firebirds dropped down to around a grand one year?  They must have had a stockpile to clear out.

Motorcycle manufacturers all do it to clear out remaining inventory, Buck knives, you get the idea.

Edited by SteveFord

12 hours ago, SteveFord said:

Gibson.

Remember when Firebirds dropped down to around a grand one year?  They must have had a stockpile to clear out.

Motorcycle manufacturers all do it to clear out remaining inventory, Buck knives, you get the idea.

Ya know who doesn't do it? Also they have a Mod Shop with really expensive scratch and dent guitars.