Gibson Brands Forums

Determine model by serial number

Plus9dB99y

I have a Gibson neck. Need help identifying the model that it was attached to, so that it can be properly refurbished. 

The serial # is: 170029902

Made in Nashville in 2017.

Production # is: 2990

This neck has round dot inlays. Not rectangle

I believe that it was either an SG or a Les Paul Studio. I can't find the exact model that it came from. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Unless you call Gibson, the serial number is just a number to identify the guitar, and give it a unique number, such as the one on your toaster or TV set.

The guitar stamped next should have the next number higher and it could have been another SG or a LP or an ES-335.

That guitar was made when Gibson pulled a fast one for a few years, and decided to go away from the first and fifth number being the year, and the 3 in the middle the Julian Date. I think from 2015 -2019 the first two number are the year and the rest is productions numbers and stuff.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

I sent the serial number on a Les Paul I bought new to Gibson customer service and here is what I got back:

Thanks for contacting Gibson Brands. Your serial number was used on a 2005 Les Paul Standard Faded model which had satin honeyburst finish, nickel hardware, ‘50’s round profile mahogany neck with rosewood fingerboard, mahogany body with carved maple top and Burstbucker Pro humbucking pick-ups. Thanks.

So, just so we're clear...

You're refurbishing a "neck"?

And since you don't have the checklist card that identifies the model based on a letter code, you ask Gibson to identify the model based on the serial number, then once identified, you'll acquire a neckless body type it originated from.

Edited by GibSinCity

12 hours ago, GibSinCity said:

So, just so we're clear...

You're refurbishing a "neck"?

And since you don't have the checklist card that identifies the model based on a letter code, you ask Gibson to identify the model based on the serial number, then once identified, you'll acquire a neckless body type it originated from.

I think that is what I read too.