Gibson Brands Forums

New Amp Day!

solacematt

So for the hell of it I went and checked out Guitar Center today (yea I know, quite a many of us hate GC on this board) and was recommended an amp from the platinum room, a Marshall 6100 30th Anniversary Edition 100 Watt Tube Amp. Three Channels (woo!). I read some reviews and no one really had anything bad to say about it. I have been looking to trade my Marshall JCM800 for a while for a dual channel amp and had my eye on certain amp types. For the hell of it I tried out a Mesa single rectifier Rectoverb and, just was not feeling that amp. Just too bitey for my taste. A Marshall I know I can trust as they haven't let me down like Mesa has in the past. So GC made an even trade with me.

Jammed on the amp in the Plat room for a good 40 min playing my bands tunes, some random Seether, Creed, and Manson riffs and it sounded good. It felt like home...which I don't feel with a Mesa.

I still had my cab and gear at home since I haven't had time to go back to my band's rehearsal space since Friday night's show so I came home and cranked for a good hour. Than got a headache and took some Tylenol, haha.

DSC01311.jpg

DSC01310.jpg

For the hell of it I tried out a Mesa single rectifier Rectoverb and' date=' just was not feeling that amp. Just too bitey for my taste.[/quote']

That's the way I feel about my Mesa Stiletto; I get a sound out of it that I really like but it seems to me that I have to dial in the tone controls pretty strangely. If I take the treble control past around 10 o'clock, the preamp overdrive gets very harsh - and that's using the clean channel with a boost pedal as the lead channel is entirely too raspy using one mode and too thick (thick as in too many preamp stages or something) in another mode.

I've come to the conclusion that Mesa amps are just really tweaky amps that require you to spend a good amount of time with them to find a sound that works for you. I really wish it were a lot more simple and not so finicky and have thought about going with a Marshall instead but, then again, I really do like the sound I get out of the Mesa so I'm hesitant to go on a long search to replace the amp as long as it works.

Archived