Gibson Brands Forums

Is it just me, or does everyone hate hearing their own voice on a recording?

On 3/1/2024 at 7:26 PM, Sheepdog1969 said:

They say the camera adds ten pounds. I'm not sure what the microphone adds or subtracts, but I would rather look at a picture of my ugly mug than listen to my own voice on a recording. Yes, with some light effects, my voice sounds better than how it sound on my voice mail "leave a message" recording, but it still makes me cringe. I'm not a great vocalist, but I definitely sound better than a bag of cats being swung around overhead. (I guess that's not saying much.) 

Do you like hearing your own voice on a recording, or does it bug you? Is there a scientific reason that explains why so many people dislike hearing their voice on a recording? I heard that Phil Collins hates hearing his voice through stage monitors, (and headphones in studio). Apparently, he uses a chorus effect to heavily process his vocals that run through his monitors and headphones, but his vocals sent to the PA system/recording devices are far less processed. 

Any thoughts?

The scientific reason why people don't like the sound of their own. voice when it's played back via a recording is that we sound completely different to ourselves than we sound to others. It's because the way we hear ourselves in day to day life is different than the way that others - or a microphone - hear us when we speak or sing. Bone conductance of sound waves changes our perception of our own voices, and that's something that a mic or another person's ears won't capture. 

When I was eight, I asked for a tape recorder for Christmas. I was absolutely shocked when I heard my own voice played back for the very first time. I've gotten used to it since then. 

On 3/4/2024 at 2:03 PM, Phil OKeefe said:

The scientific reason why people don't like the sound of their own. voice when it's played back via a recording is that we sound completely different to ourselves than we sound to others. It's because the way we hear ourselves in day to day life is different than the way that others - or a microphone - hear us when we speak or sing. Bone conductance of sound waves changes our perception of our own voices, and that's something that a mic or another person's ears won't capture. 

When I was eight, I asked for a tape recorder for Christmas. I was absolutely shocked when I heard my own voice played back for the very first time. I've gotten used to it since then. 

I've recorded well over 500 songs for my grandkids....so I well know what my voice sounds like....and it still sucks!

• Haha 2