Gibson Brands Forums

leigh

i’m having a lot of difficulty dating this 12 string acoustic epiphone and was wondering if someone could help! i think i’ve narrowed it down to somewhere between 1975-1979, but i could be totally wrong.

unsure how to/if you can insert images so i’ll just describe the label on the inside of the body

model no. FT-165 BARD-12

serial no. 170147

the label is rectangular, tan coloured with greyish blue text, says ‘Norlin’ in the bottom left corner. says it’s made in japan, and below the serial + model no. it says “another quality product from norlin. lincolnwood, illinois 60646”

Marlybean,

That model of Epiphone was made in Japan for just an eight year period of time, between 1972 and 1980.

Serial numbers of the MIJ acoustics are a mystery to me.
I have tried my hand at figuring them out, but to no avail.

Interpolating your numbers with those I have seen on other FT models from Japan, and my own FT-120, which I bought brand new in 1976, my guess is that yours was built in 1977.

You don't see many FT-165's around.
They are worth $300 in really minty condition, but most go for around $150 or so, by my observation.

I hope this helps.

🙂

3 hours ago, sparquelito said:

Marlybean,

That model of Epiphone was made in Japan for just an eight year period of time, between 1972 and 1980.

Serial numbers of the MIJ acoustics are a mystery to me.
I have tried my hand at figuring them out, but to no avail.

Interpolating your numbers with those I have seen on other FT models from Japan, and my own FT-120, which I bought brand new in 1976, my guess is that yours was built in 1977.

You don't see many FT-165's around.
They are worth $300 in really minty condition, but most go for around $150 or so, by my observation.

I hope this helps.

🙂

thank you so much! my uncle bought it, but i believe he bought it secondhand, as he was born in ‘76, but he’s a big guitar collector. i’ll ask him if he knows anything about it. 

i’ve also worked out how to attach images, so here’s a proper look at the label. ignore how filthy the inside is, it’s been sat in my grandparents house unused for the past 4 years!

IMG_4651.jpeg

• Like 2

thanks so much for your help, really appreciate it! it’s a beautiful guitar - can’t wait to get new strings on it and fix the bolts on the tuning pegs - it already sounds incredible with 8 year old strings on it so i can imagine it’ll sound even better once i’ve replaced them

• Like 1

A very exciting fix-up project, surely!!

I love a 12-string, and I have owned just a few.

Restringing them takes most of the day, but once the old strings are off, it's a great time to clean and polish the guitar overall, and to apply some F1 Oil to the fingerboard (before the new strings go on).

🫠

• Like 1

I believe it’s the same model that I had sometime back - 90s probably. 
I purchased it used and gave it a good workout over the years I had it. Unfortunately around 2000 - 2001 the bridge began to pull off and I didn’t know of anyone that could repair it. Sold it in a garage sale. 
Overall it was a reasonably nice guitar. Fairly comfortable to play for a 12 string - decent tone. 

Enjoy it! 

• Like 1