Gibson Brands Forums

Some Assistance Please on Details of Custom LP

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/001igzmxkmgqs7st7sgkz/AO6tGnL_06HUCEtBldz0YYg?rlkey=1edf3eqdegcn7261l2q9kzptv&dl=0

The above is a link to a Dropbox page for my Gibson Custom Shop Les Paul pictures.  I was hoping for some assistance on exactly what it is or is not.  The first 3 digits of the 6-digit serial number are CS 302XXX.  I thought I had a 2014, apparently not, but is it a 2003 or 2013?

The other assumptions (I am a novice here and by trade a drummer, not a guitarist, so please bear with me) are that is it what is called a "fretless wonder", "Black Beauty?"

Is this a reissue of another year, a classic?

I appreciate any assistance; customer service is taking forever to respond to my request. (What is a typical response time nowadays?)

DRS_5562-5.jpg

You have to remember this is a forum of Gibson owners not a Gibson customer service 

custom shop serial number are different than the standard 1&5 serial number decoding

probably be best to send pictures to Gibson customer service 

16 hours ago, Eracer_Team said:

You have to remember this is a forum of Gibson owners not a Gibson customer service 

custom shop serial number are different than the standard 1&5 serial number decoding

probably be best to send pictures to Gibson customer service 

Oh yes, I understand, but in the past just speaking with either Fender or Gibson enthusiasts I have gained a lot of information and knowledge regarding specific guitars I have owned through the years. 

Hi Ron,

I've had quite a few Custom Shop Gibsons. You are correct; based on the serial number it could be either 2003 or 2013. Looking at pics of the ones I have or had I'm leaning toward 2013. I had two 2008 CS guitars and one has the same Custom Shop decal as yours and the other is the older style. I had two from 2003 and one from 2000 and 2004 that also had the older style decal. So I think they changed the decal in 2008. Also none of mine had the Custom Shop badge on the back round access panel like yours. You could remove the other rear access panel and get a date code off one of the pots to be sure. Also my two 2008 CS guitars had the black booklet COA. My older ones from 2000-2004 all have a multicolored single page 8 1/2 x 11" COA. 

I also think it's a regular Les Paul Custom. The term Black Beauty was the original nickname for the 1957 LP Custom. Fretless Wonder was the name given to 70's LP Customs with low frets. A lot of people call black LP Customs Black Beauties. By the way, yours is a Black Beauty, based on looks and condition. If it was a reissue it would say so on the model number line on the COA.

JO'C

I agree that it looks like a regular LP Custom. Serial numbers start with the CS would have me believe this as well as speed knobs and the like. Reissues have long neck tenons too, regular Custom does not. The bridge would also be ABR for reissue whereas I think I’m looking at a Nashville bridge in the pic. Nice guitar BTW

Edited by NighthawkChris

Thank you all so much for the assistance and comments, it is a lovely guitar.  Too lovely for a clueless old drummer that just hacks away.  I only take it out once or twice a year to play and once a year to polish it.  I wipe it down really good after touching it, especially the strings before I return it to its case.

You all are very knowledgeable group here, great pickup on the details of the guitar by you guys/gals just looking at the pictures confirming what Gibson sent back, a real nice guy, Andy responded.  They sent me back the details of the build, I attached it.  I always wondered about the old name of "Fretless wonder" also as these "Medium jumbo" frets are actually quite low and play beautifully especially for a beginner like me.  I have a nice homemade guitar copy using Fender necks; those frets are much higher.  The fretboard is Richlite however and I remember reading somewhere the fretless wonders were all ebony fretboards.

My brother makes guitar copies using a wide array of "body" types.  (Pic attached)

I was just looking for information on the guitar in general, it's nice to know the details regarding a nice guitar as this. (...and not being a guitarist, apparently, I know nothing!)

If my arthritis would calm down in my left hand, I would really love to get back playing/practicing regularly again.

Thank you

IMG_4519.jpg

2013 Gibson Les Paul.pdf