Gibson Brands Forums

1982 Gibson Anniversary Neck / Ron Luczak 1959 Body (Project)

26 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

How do you spray 1/2 a coat? 

The first coat when spray nitro is a mist coat. I found it helps the subsequent coats from running.

i dunno man.... it works for me. lol  

3 minutes ago, Dub-T-123 said:

The 1/2 coat is probably the last thing I’d ask about. The neck joint looks horrendous and LPs are supposed to have the neck joint at the 16th fret so I’m not sure what we’re doing here but it’s not right. 

Looks fine to me considering what needed to be done to keep the fretboard end from imposing on the neck pickup cavity. It's comfortable and nobody is going to see it, unless I decide to pull a Jimi Hendrix and play with my teeth. Plus I've seen some of those PRS neck joints from hell that were done on purpose..... What I did was done out of necessity to fit a 1982 Gibson neck on a 59 spec Les Paul body.......... I'm pleased so far. 

9 minutes ago, Dub-T-123 said:

The neck joint was at the 16th fret in 1982 and 1959 so something is wrong. I don’t want to be a **** but I would never approve of what you’ve done here it just isn’t good 

Well no duh the joint is at the 16th fret. I just didn't  have that option with the components I was working with so I made well with what I had, and for a total of about $800 I'm gonna have a nice playing and sounding geetar when it's all done.

And really dude you're not the final approval on projects or what is good or not good. .... I'm happy and that's all that counts.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm at 10 coats for the guitar with the exception for the front of the headstock (only 4coats), I had been waiting for the water slide decal which i put on Saturday. I will hit it with nine mist coats today then do normal thick coats the rest of the week. Hopefully by Friday the headstock will be completely lacquered.

I'm going to do a total of 15 coats to the rest of the guitar and should be done by Friday as well.

IMG_5835.jpg

IMG_5826.jpg

IMG_5825.jpg

Done with the laying down 17 coats of Clear Lacquer (8 cans) spanning over 15-days.

Now it's off to the upstairs bedroom where it will hang and dry/cure for 30 days.

IMG_5859.jpg

Well I added three more coats to the back of the body this weekend as I could see the nitro was shrinking into the grain a little. It's now upstairs for three weeks in the hottest spare bedroom. I'm figuring I'm just going to have to live with some shrinkage.

And I took some time to clean up and reorganize the garage and my work bench, and in doing so I found some beer pictures my sweeter half had bought that didn't make the cut.... so I hung em.

IMG_5870.jpg

IMG_5871.jpg

• Like 1

Last night while we were watching the Dodger game I decided to position the ABR1 bridge and somewhat get the nut shaped (still a little more to do to the nut but good enough to position the ABR1).

The good news is the neck didn't come flying off with the strings on. And it intonated like a champ with the strings directly over the center of their respective pick up poles. The G saddle measured at 24-7/8.

Today drill and tapping the holes for the ABR1 and I can leave it alone for 20 days.

IMG_5883.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well it's pretty much done:

This weekend I wet sanded and polished then installed all the hardware. I also cut the grooves for the nut and intonated. I still need to do a little more shaping and cut the grooves a little deeper on the G, B and high E, but I'm going to let the neck settle for about a week. The back of the body had some nitro shrinkage which I'm going to live with. On the next project I'm going to see if I can get some info on what Gibson uses to fill pores on mahogany.

There was a little but of orange peel on the body binding which I will go back and fix a little later and the open book part of the headstock. It plays quit well and doesn't fret out any where but I'm going to take it in and have the frets leveled and crowned. But no burn throughs!!!

See below:

IMG_5975.jpg

IMG_5966.jpg

IMG_5973.jpg

IMG_5965.jpg

IMG_5962.jpg

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Rabs said:

Frikken sweet man... Greta job there. Reminds me of the Joe Perry one, boneyard or something 👍

Thanks mang!!!

I should rename the project "The Neck Heel From Hell" conversion. But after looking at some of the PRS offerings I didn't feel so bad about it all.

• Upvote 1