Gibson Brands Forums

The Gibster's Dictionary: Word definitions for common folk

Here are a few of my "definitions", (this post and the next reply), that redefine words into something more fun. Add your own redefinitions to The Gibster's Dictionary!  

Oxymoron

ox·y·mo·ron
/ˌäksəˈmôrˌän/
Adjective
an individual stupefied from an oxycodone addiction. ( e.g.  That moron was so high on Oxy, that he got a DUI on his lawn tractor as he was driving to Taco Bell.) 

Edited by Sheepdog1969
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

rushing
/ˈrəSHiNG/

noun

the act of listening to the band Rush for hours on end. (e.g.  Dad's been in the backroom rushing for so long that he's wearing the vinyl out.)

Edited by Sheepdog1969
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Glossary

glos·sa·ry
/ˈɡlôsərē,ˈɡläsərē/

adjective

a highly polished, mirror like, ultra reflective finish or coating. (e.g. The finish on that Gibson guitar is so glossary that the stage lights reflecting off of it are blinding me!)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Sheepdog1969 said:

Glossary

glos·sa·ry
/ˈɡlôsərē,ˈɡläsərē/

adjective

a highly polished, mirror like, ultra reflective finish or coating. (e.g. The finish on that Gibson guitar is so glossary that the stage lights reflecting off of it are blinding me!)

And that’s a real thing. I had to miss it, but I heard after the Patty Larkin concert last month she set her Olson down during a break, and it caught the light so that it was painfully blinding a large chunk of the audience caught in beam.  A stage hand thoughtfully turned it after someone went up and asked.  

• Like 1

pedophilia

pe-də-ˈfi-lē-ə

noun

a psychological addiction to collecting guitar pedals. (eg. The patient was diagnosed with pedophilia after he bought his 15th Wah-wah.)

Edited by gearbasher
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

vibrato

vi·bra·to

/vəˈbrädō/

noun

An extra large, battery operated device that women use to pleasure themselves. (eg. Mary's vibrato required 4 D-cell batteries.)

Edited by gearbasher
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Obeast

o·beast
/ˌo beest/
Adjective and/or pejorative noun
an woman who is extremely overweight but also unattractive.  ( e.g.  That gal at the bar wasn't just fat and ugly, she was positively obeast.) 

🤨

• Haha 3

What most of you are doing is known as portmanteaus.  That is the combining of two words with separate, different meanings, in order to create a new word with a new meaning.  I used this as a warm-up assignment with my students one day when, after one of my students asked me, "Mr. C, have you ever felt your cellphone ring and you reached for it and it didn't"?

"Like a false alarm?"  "Or phantom ring?" I said.

So I got it.  It's called a portmanteaus.  It's a French term.  In this case there were a couple of examples on Wikipedia I found.

Phantom vibration syndrome or phantom ringing syndrome is the perception that one's mobile phone is vibrating or ringing when it is not. Other terms for this concept include ringxiety (a portmanteau of ring and anxiety), fauxcellarm (a portmanteau of "faux" /fo͜ʊ/ meaning "fake" or "false" and "cellphone" and "alarm" pronounced similarly to "false alarm") and phonetom (a portmanteau of phone and phantom)[1] and phantom phone signals.[2]According to Michael Rothberg, the term is not a syndrome, but is better characterised as a tactile hallucination since the brain perceives a sensation that is not actually present.[3] WebMD published an article on phantom vibration syndrome with Rothberg as a source. [4] Several other articles have been published in 2010s, including in NPR, Bustle, CBS News, and Psychology Today. [5][6][7][8]

Here's one I've used since high school/

It's the combination of Fu@%ing and Idiot.

Fid-iot

noun
a really annoying stupid person.
"That guy's a real fidiot."  
  • ARCHAIC
    a person of annoyingly low intelligence.
    "he entered their employ and learnt their secrets by pretending to be a fidiot"
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Californiaman said:

He entered their employ and learnt their secrets by pretending to be a fidiot"

Not to side-track the conversation, but "Pretending to be a fidiot" sound a lot like what Seaman Doug Hegdahl did while in captivity during the Vietnam war. 

An amazing man and an awesome story!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doug_Hegdahl

• Like 1

Multicultural

mul·ti·cul·tur·al
/ˌməltēˈkəl(t)SH(ə)r(ə)l,ˌməltīˈkəl(t)SH(ə)r(ə)l/
adjective
adjective: multicultural; adjective: multi-cultural
relating to or constituting several different brands/manufacturers of guitars in one's personal collection. (e.g. His guitar collection contained Gibsons, Fenders, and G&Ls.)

PlayStation

/plā/stāSH(ə)n/

noun

The location of all the electronics and accessories required to play and amplify an electric instrument. (e.g.  It took him at least five minutes in the corner of the room, to to plug everything in and turn everything on, before he played a single note.)

common abbreviation:  PS

Edited by Sheepdog1969
typo