Gibson Brands Forums

Best of the best Gibson Les paul custom ebony Black beauty since 1980

Belva

SO, I'm going to buy one of these.

Do you have links, graphs or something with the BEST YEARS for quality, tone, and manufacturing of the Les Paul Custom Ebony?

Starting from 1980!

Also, are these custom shop les paul customs made from 2001 till now any good or are there any bad apples years?

Let me know!

Take care guys and thx for help!

ALSO: I would like to know what are the differences between

GIBSON CUSTOM SHOP LES PAUL EBONY CUSTOM vs GIBSON CUSTOM SHOP LES PAUL CUSTOM EBONY VOS

Is it just a matter of aestetics and different pus? let me know!

ALSO: I would like to know what are the differences between

GIBSON CUSTOM SHOP LES PAUL EBONY CUSTOM vs GIBSON CUSTOM SHOP LES PAUL CUSTOM EBONY VOS

Is it just a matter of aestetics and different pus? let me know!

A VOS has a slightly aged look to it. The finish, binding and inlays are made to look like a vintage instrument would look today.

An 80's Les Paul Custom will give an 80's vibe.

New Les Paul Customs sound and feel different,

cause they weren't made 20 or 30 years ago.

I don't believe in good or bad years. The tone

and playability is all that matters; many people

prefer their Norlin (70's) Les Pauls over their new

R7, R8, R9 for tone. Those are the people that like

their Les Pauls to be heavy in weight with a solid

feeling to it.

If you like the guitar to be heavy and solid + quality

made, then you can't go wrong with an original 80's

Les Paul Custom. I'd pick one from the period '86-89'.

Thanks

Of course theres no "best".

I need a chunky, very warm les paul, reminiscent of the 50s era, absolutely not the modern sound of a standard !

I'm gonna use it a lot in clean setting!

ps: new 2009 VOS are just 9 pounds! I just discovered. I hope THEY'RE NOT CHAMBERED RIGHT?

So the vos has different eastetics but is the body structure different too? I mean: is it the same deal as a 50s les paul or is it the same as a let's say 1986 lp custom?

Let me know!

Thanks

I need a chunky' date=' very warm les paul, reminiscent of the 50s era, absolutely not the modern sound of a standard !

I'm gonna use it a lot in clean setting!

ps: new 2009 VOS are just 9 pounds! I just discovered. I hope THEY'RE NOT CHAMBERED RIGHT?

So the vos has different eastetics but is the body structure different too? I mean: is it the same deal as a 50s les paul or is it the same as a let's say 1986 lp custom?

Let me know![/quote']

Have you spent any time on the Gibson website checking out the specs? With the exception of opinion as to what is "best", the answers to all of your questions are readily available by simply doing some homework.

To answer your question though, no, there is no difference in "body structure" with a VOS.

I'd suggest going here and reading up a bit: http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Gibson-Custom.aspx

Sir

I have done my homework.

It's not my fault gibson writes "Nicknamed the "Fretless Wonder" for its low frets, or "Black Beauty" for its rich, contrasting color, the Les Paul Custom was introduced at the same time as the Gibson Les Paul Junior and represented the ultimate in Gibson solid body design at the time"

instead of specs on its site.

I have found a 57 vos on the net which is about 9.4 pounds, I was wondering why a supposedly extra correct version of the fretless wonder weights sooo low.

Plus, gibson site won't give me any info over 80s guitars.... that's all man, chill down...

Sir

I have done my homework.

It's not my fault gibson writes "Nicknamed the "Fretless Wonder" for its low frets' date=' or "Black Beauty" for its rich, contrasting color, the Les Paul Custom was introduced at the same time as the Gibson Les Paul Junior and represented the ultimate in Gibson solid body design at the time"

instead of specs on its site.

I have found a 57 vos on the net which is about 9.4 pounds, I was wondering why a supposedly extra correct version of the fretless wonder weights sooo low.

Plus, gibson site won't give me any info over 80s guitars.... that's all man, chill down... [/quote']

Haha ... OK,

First - you don't have to call me sir! A little too formal, no?

Second - I'm not wound up, man. I responded the way I did to help point you in a direction that would provide you with some information you could get on your own. These forums are terrific for getting information, but you also wind up with a lot of opinion ... and I think the opinion that matters most is your own.

As for the weight, due to variations in wood, you will have variations in weight. You could, for example, take two identical guitars (same model) and find that they have a different weight/feel to them.

In respect to the VOS option, all that basically means is that they do not apply as many coats of nitro during the finishing process, nor is it buffed to a high gloss. I believe there is also some sort of VOS product (for lack of a better term ... sorry blanking a bit right now) that is applied to the pup covers, bridge, etc. to give the appearance of being an older guitar. That's not to say it's the same as a Fender "road worn" or relicked guitar ... it's not beat up to look as if it's been gigged, rather it's just dressed to look more "vintage", if that makes sense. The lower cost for the VOS is just due to what I previously mentioned about the fewer applications and lack of buffing ... it lowers production costs for the guitar. I personally have a 58 Reissue w/the VOS and I absolutely love it. I'll also point out that if you don't care for the VOS treatment on the pup covers, bridge, etc., you can simply wipe it off so it looks new ... just depends on what you like the looks of.

Anyway, sorry for the confusion, man ... I'm not a particularly mean dude so my apologies if it came across that way.

No probs!

That might be just cultural shock. See we all share internet but go on with our local lives on a daily basis, so it's kind of a lignuistical mess.

So , do oyu think 9.4 pounds for a vos is good or too light? I expeted it to be 10 or more!

You guys are dead wrong and are giving out false information.

A Gibson Les Paul Custom does not have long neck tenon and does not have a solid mahogany body. Les Paul Customs are weight-relieved.

A Gibson Les Paul Custom Shop Custom VOS refers to Vintage Orginal Spec. These are also referred to as historics' date=' R7BB, & B7. A VOS [u']does[/u] have long neck tenon and does have a solid mahogany body. These Customs are built to resemble, but not exactly, a 1950s era Les Paul Custom. VOS also refers to the aged look that trypically comes on these guitars.

http://forums.gibson.com/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=18137

To clarify...

This Custom has short neck tenon and 9 weight-relief holes.

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-Custom/Les-Paul-Custom.aspx

This Custom has a long neck tenon and no weight-relief. It is completely solid.

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-Custom/1957-Les-Paul-Custom-2-PU-VOS.aspx

Belva, you can also buy chambered historic Customs. They are referred to as "Cloud 9" and all of them have a serial number that begins with CR.

99% of historics come with the VOS finish...meaning they look aged.

1% of them come with the high gloss finish...meaning they look brand new.

Obviously, it's a lot harder to find a gloss finish but they do exist. There's on on eBay right now, I believe.

No, I was referring to this one.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/GIBSON-HISTORIC-57-LES-PAUL-CUSTOM-MINT-1957-GLOSS-NEW_W0QQitemZ300309519069QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item300309519069&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1215%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

Without really looking at the one you posted, it might be a 1997. It has the wrong knobs to be a 2007. Still great guitars. I'm not a fan of the Bigsby's, personally.

Guitar looks fine to me; I bought my Custom brand new off the display rack back in 1992 and there was no COA with it. I even worked at the store where I bought it and never bothered to dig it up.

Thanks

I need a chunky' date=' very warm les paul, reminiscent of the 50s era, absolutely not the modern sound of a standard !

I'm gonna use it a lot in clean setting![/quote']

Well, 50's Les Pauls (reissues) are mostly known for their bright, clear and woody Les Paul tone. Many players that like VOS reissue Les Pauls are mostly influenced by vintage blues players (like Clapton, Peter Green etc). I'd say go for a reissue if you care for open, biting, bright Les Paul tones.

If you want a thick, beefy, warm Les Paul tone, you'll need an original 80's Les Paul Custom from about 11 or 12 lbs. Think about Slash/Metallica/Zakk Wylde. The Les Pauls were far heavier back then with different woods, which gave them a thicker/darker tone. VOS players like their Les Pauls to be as light as possible and hate a 'thick' or too bassy Les Paul tone. Why? It's a rock guitar, not a rockabilly guitar.

It's up to you.

I have found a 57 vos on the net which is about 9.4 pounds' date=' I was wondering why a supposedly extra correct version of the fretless wonder weights sooo low.

[/quote']

Bear in mind the '50s Les Pauls were built with lighter weight mahogany. The heaviest ones tend to be the '70s and early '80s models before the practice of 'weight relief' started.

Archived