Gibson Brands Forums

Sick guitar (as in "ill", not as in "good"); not Gibson related

My old HD-28 is in the shop for a lifting pickguard and the infamous Martin pickguard crack.  When one of my old pals is not in its proper place - be it a shotgun, fly rod, guitar or what have you - it's like having a missing child!  I actually play my J-200 more lately anyway, but you know...  It's been needing to happen for quite a while.  I'd planned all along to maybe dress it up a bit with a tortoise guard and the repairman showed me a really nice piece of material he could use, but when push came to shove I decided to stay with black; the repair guy agreed.  So, the wait is on...

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, PrairieSchooner said:

My old HD-28 is in the shop for a lifting pickguard and the infamous Martin pickguard crack.  When one of my old pals is not in its proper place - be it a shotgun, fly rod, guitar or what have you - it's like having a missing child!  I actually play my J-200 more lately anyway, but you know...  It's been needing to happen for quite a while.  I'd planned all along to maybe dress it up a bit with a tortoise guard and the repairman showed me a really nice piece of material he could use, but when push came to shove I decided to stay with black; the repair guy agreed.  So, the wait is on...

I like black p/g’s much better on Martin’s. One of mine is black and the other is not. I’ve heard of the infamous Martin neck reset, and the binding pop glue debacle, but not the pickguard crack. I hope my guitars don’t get it or any of those illnesses. Martin needs to rush through a vaccine ASAP. How old or new is this beast?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

Tortoise p-guards - thrilling and (in most cases) good looking. Yet have to mention 1 trap : Pixelation.

I had 2 HD-28Vs with 5 years between them (2000 & 2005) and the youngest had serious printed mini-spots. So glaring it was that one day when the afternoon sun-rays hit the guitar in the right/wrong flat angle it became clear the pattern was made of purple and orange.                                                                                                                                                                                               The older dreads guard has a more discreet appearance and very cool bevelling all way around  - but still is pixelated. . 

• Like 1

I've had quite a few Martins and never had an issue. The oldest one from the '80's and the newest one from the late 2010's. I'm currently down to one from '96., again no issues. HD40MS

49296337377_e28c87ea18_z.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Dave F said:

I've had quite a few Martins and never had an issue. The oldest one from the '80's and the newest one from the late 2010's. I'm currently down to one from '96., again no issues. HD40MS

49296337377_e28c87ea18_z.jpg

What are those cool fret markers? They look like heiroglyphics

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

Pixelation.

The repairman is going to make a new guard as original guard has shrunk so as not to cover the area even if flattened; the tortoise was not Martin material.  What he showed me was very attractive and he said that was the last of the material as the maker had gone out of business.  But it could have what you're talking about; I don't know.  Ultimately I decided to stay with black.  He also said the tortoise material was a bit thicker than the OEM black stuff he'll use.

Edited by PrairieSchooner
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, PrairieSchooner said:

Ultimately I decided to stay with black. 

Black will be black, , , , there are reasons to assume. . 

Best of luck

Edited by E-minor7
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I picked up my HD-28 yesterday; glad to have her home and safe and sound, She looks just fine with her new guard.  Interesting (?) factoid: the luthier said, "That pickguard crack has been repaired before."  The weird thing is, I can't for the life of me imagine when that could have happened, or by who.  It's only been anywhere near a repairman twice: when new, the intonation was off, and local luthier Steve Tripplet widened the saddle slot slightly and made a compensated saddle to put it right.  It certainly was not cracked then.  Then once when I put a decal on the pickguard which I later removed, and when I did it marred the finish on the guard.  The repairman at the music store where I worked at the time touchup up the finish.  I don't recall the crack being there then and even if it had been he certainly would not have done anything without telling me.  Repair fairies? Very, very weird, and I guess I'll never know.

4 hours ago, dhanners623 said:

Yeah, I'm aware.  That was the problem, but still wondering who repaired my guitar and when?

18 hours ago, PrairieSchooner said:

Interesting (?) factoid: the luthier said, "That pickguard crack has been repaired before."  

Must be the decal-mare misinterpreted. Best of luck with the new guard - hope your new edges have a nice bevel.

HD-28 / J-200 is not a bad match to swing between. Natural / burst ?

6 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

Must be the decal-mare misinterpreted. Best of luck with the new guard - hope your new edges have a nice bevel.

HD-28 / J-200 is not a bad match to swing between. Natural / burst ?

It does! And yeah..

P394zE7l.jpg

• Like 1

On 7/20/2024 at 2:09 AM, PrairieSchooner said:

Yeah, I'm aware.  That was the problem, but still wondering who repaired my guitar and when?

Great! Not everyone may be aware, though, hence my post.

Seems the previous repair is a mystery.

• Like 1