Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson TV Series

Having recently sold the last of my electric guitars I find my eye continues to wander..............

Here's a 2012 Hummingbird TV that caught my eye.  Many years back I had a Hummingbird Vintage, the series released after  the True Vintage series, and it was a very fine example of the model.  The only difference I can discern is the top wood:  sitka on the TV, cooked Adi on the Vintage............true?  Anyone make note of any significant differences?  At $3600 it seems a bit overpriced, but I could be wrong there as well....................any input?

The paint on the pickguard appears to be intact which seems to indicate this one was not played much.

sBnl1q1.jpeg

Posted (edited)

Buc I’ve had a TV and a Vintage. Slight nod goes to the Vintage, but frankly they are so close. And I tend to like Sitka more. 

this is old, but it’s the Sitka TV.

and this was my Vintage.

Edited by MorristownSal

Your (True) Vintage Birds are of course remembered here, gentlemen. Buc's seemed to fit him very well (quite a few guits do).

But the real drama was on Sal's scene. He had one he seriously liked, , , which sounded so good in the films. Then sold it, , , only for to try and find another kind of like it a bit further up the road. Never really succeeded in that, , , and had to quit Birds.

We discussed the model a lot those years. Jesse got a TV and was glad - then vanished between the branches. A member washed the motif of his guard and disappeared himself. EA Prague found an TV ex he loved, , , sat at the office staring at it all day, , , and became weird. Father of Pearl expressed a deep sense of the glaze and became a holy man, , , and I totally caught up in the craze invented the phrase nectar while goin' through 3 TVs and an over-sweet yellow dotless standard  

Still play my 2012s almost every day - but can't have them in standard tuning and always prefer other acoustics for recordings. Also tried many others including new Sheryl C CWs in shops - even borrowed a torrefried Vintage home. Experiences that at some point made Sal speak the words -"E-minor, , , you understand Birds. ."

Thx, , , believe I to some degree do. . . 

And good luck Buc

• Like 3

13 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

........but can't have them in standard tuning.......

??  Why so, sir?

Two nice examples, Sal.  Quite similar in tone, both beautiful instruments.  Since the first one I bought I've felt that the Hummingbird was my instrument...........I think there have been four over the years and each one felt like the right guitar for me.  The 185 I currently bang on is a good guitar, not a great one.  It's quite a good player but it does not have a particularly striking tone.  I have no desire to have a herd of instruments..............if I can figure out a way to land a good Hummingbird the 185 will go...........one is enough for me.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

There are 4 on Reverb. One is a lefty and is $3750.  The other 3 range from $4500 to $7k approximately.   I've had an H'Bird TV for 9 years. Absolutely love it. Not loud, but louder than you'd expect. Seems to project the sound more than keeping it inside.  Balanced tone.  Gibson also made SJ200s and J45s in a TV mode, but it's the H'Birds we hear most about it seems.  Sorry to hear you've not 'bonded' with your 185.  As you've had H'Birds and are drawn back - you may expect one would be more 'comfortable' to play.   G'Luck ! 

Edited by fortyearspickn
  • Like 1

Other than a double neck Supro Comet lap steel, I lost all of my electrics  more than 15 years ago. Still keep an early-1960s Standel amp around when I feel the need to plug in and try and nail Dave Lindley's solos on "Mercury Blues" or "Running on Empty".   For whatever reason though, I have never been able to make peace with a square shoulder Gibson Jumbo.  Then again, who gives a fig.  So, go for it if that is what you want and never mind me.  Life it too short to get bogged down by got away guitars

11 hours ago, Buc McMaster said:

??  Why so, sir?

Well, my playing style includes a lot of finger-picking also when casually finger-tip strumming. In that context the Bird's hi E B G simply get too thin and tinny, , , compared to fx slopes.                                                                                                A thing you may have noticed yourself. 

If strumming or flat-picking in standard this 'weakness' probably would be less challenging, but I never do.

However the 2 2012 Birds here are enjoyed on the couch where their distinct blend between something sophisticated and actually primitive generates great satisfaction almost daily.                                   But it's me & them and us only. As mentioned in a chat with Missouri some weeks back they will not go to acoustic jams either. Too fragile, dampened and vain.                                                                       That said I lOVE the look of the TVs and have from the first 5 seconds I saw one in 2010. The way the brown-orange top meets the sides in close to the same hue is stunning. And the faded flora-fauna surrounded by its sparkling rubies when the sun hits the points of the guard is guaranteed to blow brains - certainly mine. .  

Another distinction, the TVs don't come with electronics, in accordance with the TRUE Vintage concept.  As far as group playing - mine certainly is not a 'banjo killer', and would not stand out in an Acoustic Jam,  but that's because I prefer old strings.  I guess because that's what I grew up with -  cheap, Black Diamonds.   But I appreciate the tone, over the volume, as noted, when noodling on the couch.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

I guess because that's what I grew up with -  cheap, Black Diamonds.   But I appreciate the tone, over the volume, as noted, when noodling on the couch.  

Apropos Black Diamonds (which was one of the 1960s brand, wasn't it) - I have a set of round core Pyramids (also known from that era) on the 1963 ceramic saddled  SJ. The guitar never sounded better