Gibson Brands Forums

Busy, but fun couple of weeks for me...

Here is is Memorial Day, and another annual Delfest has come and gone. This has been a tradition for the last 6 or 7 years. A four day Bluegrass Festival in the mountains of Western Maryland. As usual, we had a great time camping, and partying and jamming and meeting people and even saw a few good bands in there somewhere..  😎 

On the way there we blew two tires on Steve's Suburban. He should have changed tires before the trip, Even on a spare, we barely made it to a Walmart for four new tires. But it turned out to be only a slight diversion and we got there OK. It's an uncomfortable feeling changing a tire on side of Rt 70 as cars go by at 80 MPH a few feet away. A State Police eventually parked behind us with his lights on, and that made it much better.

GEECfNu.jpg

Gh2m92m.jpg

The week before, my wife and I took a well needed short vacation to The Bahamas. It was an all-inclusive stay at Sandals Resort. We enjoyed a beautiful beach,  did some sailing and ate/drank very well. It was a short, but great trip. Coming home, we touched down at BWI 6:45PM and by 8, I was at Pit Stop Pub playing a gig with my buddy Steve. 

WGm5VMS.jpg

HEpAue8.jpg

• Like 2

Not an expert on tires - but that one looked like it was living on borrowed time.  Had it passed some type of state inspection recently?  Jenga is probably our family's favorite all round game. We have the smaller version !  

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

Not an expert on tires - but that one looked like it was living on borrowed time.  Had it passed some type of state inspection recently?  

Our state got rid of inspections in the 90s tax/budget slashing.  While I don’t mind not having to sit in that line, I sure give a wide margin to some of the vehicles I see yawing and squealing down the highway at 70-80 mp, ever thankful for the recirc button driving behind the black clouds of burning oil.  

Edited by PrairieDog

Yep. Safer driving behind James Bond's Aston Martin shooting missiles at you  when you see an oil trail.    Half the population is below average intelligence, and the lower half of them - probably need someone to tell them  'when the tire is bare, you can't go nowhere' !

Yeah. The tires. That's a story.

It is a 2000 Suburban that was just given to him by his neighbor Phil. It's been sitting since the Covid lockdown.  Phil just signed over the title. It has Historic tags. Steve did take it to to get tune-up and oil change and tire rotation. The treads were still good, but the guy suggested Steve get new ones as these were 10 years old.  Steve didn't take the advice. :rolleyes:   

So what that picture shows is after the tread came off. We rode slowly and tried to get past a guard rail, but then the whole tire blew. We rode on the rim for about 100 yards until we cleared the guard rail or we would have been even closer to the road.