Gibson Brands Forums

What happened to Murph?

4 minutes ago, Retired said:

I hear you. I knew a breeder who put a 4 month old puppy down because it got in a fight with it's litter brother. I thought that was terrible.  But we weren't going to get any more dogs. Sundance was our last one, We got Sundance through the gal who bred Oliver.  When she called us and said no-one wanted him for a pet, Deb and I both said no. We half to rescue him.  I understand that show people can't show him because dogs and cats need to be intact. They couldn't find Olivers. We drove down to Loganville Georgia from Neb. to pick him up. I couldn't believe no one down there wanted him. I have been around show  breeders. a lot, If they can't find a home for a puppy, it gets put down. 

We were breeders of show dogs for 25 years….we’d NEVER put a puppy down because it wasn’t show quality.   We know many, MANY showdog breeders……never knew one who put down non-show puppies……heard stories of that happening….but never actually knew of anyone who did, ( maybe they just don’t talk about it).   

• Like 1

On 5/29/2024 at 9:45 AM, DanvillRob said:

I LOVE the Doberman breed!    We sometimes dog-sit a friend's *****....one of the sweetest and best dogs I've ever met....

We were Pug breeders, exhibitors and judges for like 25 years, (my wife is judging the Pug National this year).

We now own Affenpinchers..... We have a male (Gatsby) who is a retired Grand Champion.   We got a female to keep him company, (because our last Pug died) and somehow Gatsby "got to her" on her first season..... so now we have a little puppy too.   We never intended to have 3 dogs again.....but here we are.   

The mom's (Saylor), show career was postponed due to the dog virus that was going around....and then because she was preggers.....so she'll start in August.

We'll probably show the baby (Yardley) at the same time.....she'll  be 6 months old in August.

I stopped showing Dobermans after my Champion died. Longest living one I had. My heart was just broken and said that's it. Haha, Iv've had two more since.When Sundance went, he died twice. Never heard of a dog doing that. We had him at our rental house and he saw the steep stairs going down to the finished basement and had a heart attack and died. We checked all his vitals and even his tongue stuck out and he pooped. I pressed on his heart a couple of times and life came back into him. I enjoyed him for 3 months  when he died again. We said, thats it again, no more. Now we have Oliver who will 2 in September. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

We were breeders of show dogs for 25 years….we’d NEVER put a puppy down because it wasn’t show quality.   We know many, MANY showdog breeders……never knew one who put down non-show puppies……heard stories of that happening….but never actually knew of anyone who did, ( maybe they just don’t talk about it).   

Good for you.  We aren't getting anymore dogs. We are getting too old to raise puppies. Now if my wife goes before me, I told her My companionship will be with 2 more Dobermans but not show quality. Have to have the ears up and docked tail. Been showing them too long to not. 

• Like 1

On 5/29/2024 at 9:14 AM, fortyearspickn said:

I  get upset when they shoot a horse with a broken leg -   but THIS seems unnecessarily cruel and unusual.   Would we euthanize a  J45 if it were missing a nut ? 

I knew a breeder who put a 4 month old puppy down, then stuck him in her freezer till Spring to bury him. Don't know what happened to her? Haven't bought any from her in decades. I started buying them from the gal in Georgia. She showed Bandit, my Champion in the nationals as a 6th month old puppy.  He won a lot. Now were done with this gal too. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/31/2024 at 11:39 AM, IanHenry said:

Thanks for letting us know, that's great to hear 🙂

What forum is AGF?

I am an Animal lover. All kinds. Dogs, Cats, Horses, Cows, Chickens just about all of them. I’ve had many Dogs over the years. When my last 2 were old & sick with Cancer & suffering so much it was really hard because I knew what was next. First Cody my Korgie then a year or so Jack our Jack Russell. I stayed with them both til the end & it broke my heart. At my age I enjoy my Kids Dogs. But, I can’t do that anymore.