Gibson Brands Forums

1930s National Duolian resonator

I noticed this on Marketplace uk & though it might interest someone here as a historical icon.

It's close to where I live but a little bit too expensive to consider. Having checked out reverb though, its not that much more that modern ones. This is up now, though the pics are 3 years old.

441967663_1143185053538992_7685478126550

418587951_1117254352687025_7372217578034

438062857_3775941826010621_6337722923786

Its claimed to be original neck etc. Tuners are replaced but has the original ones as well. He thinks it from 1937. What a piece of history!

The basic design was John Dopyera, though this one is a single resonator so George Beauchamp held the patent. The metal body would have been formed at Adophe Rickenbacker's original tool & die shop. Neither John nor George were at National at that time. John was with Dobro and George at Ro-Pat-In AKA Electro String AKA Rickenbacker.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Thanks for sharing and the history.  We have a similar but slightly earlier c. 1935 duco finish.  Note the slotted headstock and ribbed plate.  Great guitars.  

T3PsLj7.jpg

Edited by PrairieDog
  • Like 1

Here is a 1978 DOBRO model, built by Gibson after they bought the DOBRO company.  It was owned by my late wife and my daughter just started playing it in her bluegrass band.  I sometimes have played slide style and sometimes Spanish style, but not much lately. 

E4JPuSk.jpg

Cisz4SV.jpg

Here is another odd Gibson DOBRO -- also my late wife's (the well equipped bass player) bought in the early 1990s at MERLEFEST.  I think it may have been the prototype.  It sounds cool in folk revival acoustic groups and jams.

f52iLuM.jpg

CTWv8fN.jpg

-Tom

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tpbiii said:

Here is a 1978 DOBRO model, built by Gibson after they bought the DOBRO company.  It was owned by my late wife and my daughter just started playing it in her bluegrass band.  I sometimes have played slide style and sometimes Spanish style, but not much lately. 

Here is another odd Gibson DOBRO -- also my late wife's (the well equipped bass player) bought in the early 1990s at MERLEFEST.  I think it may have been the prototype.  It sounds cool in folk revival acoustic groups and jams.

-Tom

Both nice ones, I have a real soft spot for the wood bodies.  On our wish list is a National M1 Tricone.  

Posted (edited)

I owned a 1932 Duolian which was said to have been played by John Hammond Jr. while recording at Blue Heaven Studio in Salina. KS.  As the guy who sold it worked there at the time there might be some truth to it.   I sold it but now have a shot at buying it back.  I am seriously thinking about it.

Edited by zombywoof
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Larsongs said:

I’ve owned a couple but just not the right ones.. Played a gazillion.. I’m still searching for the one..

Curious if you’ve tried a tricone? I have a real hard time with the harsh high trebles on a single cone steel reso, but l really dig the tricones.  Of course, this is opposed to the “Triolian” which is a different thing and another single cone.   Played a used National M1 wood-body tricone early in our guitar adventure, and are still kicking ourselves for not understanding exactly what we had in our hands at the  time.  Should have snatched it up.  

Edited by PrairieDog

1 hour ago, PrairieDog said:

Curious if you’ve tried a tricone? I have a real hard time with the harsh high trebles on a single cone steel reso, but l really dig the tricones.  Of course, this is opposed to the “Triolian” which is a different thing and another single cone.   Played a usedNational M1 wood-body tricone early in our guitar adventure, and are still kicking ourselves for not understanding exactly what we had in our hands at the  time.  Should have snatched it up.  

I’m not sure I have.. I will make a point of it the next chance I have to try some out.. I want one that sounds great with my Harps & for playing Slide.. I’ve always loved early Blues.. Although, when I play Blues, I seem to play later period Blues on Electric Guitar’s or Acoustic Guitar’s.. I still like the Sound of Resonator’s better.. Especially for the Blues..

• Like 1

On 5/31/2024 at 2:38 AM, PrairieDog said:

Thanks for sharing and the history.  We have a similar but slightly earlier c. 1935 duco finish.  Note the slotted headstock and ribbed plate.  Great guitars.  

T3PsLj7.jpg

Wow! That's a peach and no mistake.

• Like 1

On 5/31/2024 at 12:54 PM, PrairieDog said:

Both nice ones, I have a real soft spot for the wood bodies.  On our wish list is a National M1 Tricone.  

I would love to try one of those. I hope you find one.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

Wow! That's a peach and no mistake.

3 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

I would love to try one of those. I hope you find one.

Thanks Merciful! I hope you get to lay hands on one too.  

• Thanks 1