Gibson Brands Forums

How much difference could a string change make?

On 6/7/2024 at 9:53 PM, fortyearspickn said:

Absolutely!  I prefer the tone/sound of 2 year old strings on my guitars, including my H’Bird.  

I know lots of folks in these parts agree with your sentiment. I've always been curious. How do y'all get around the intonation being off as old strings often do? Perhaps I'm being fussy when such things happen. 

My guitars' intonation / set-up seems to favor the strings once they're broken in and stretched.  I have more dissonance when they're new.  But then, I only play on the first half dozen frets mostly. 

On 6/7/2024 at 5:45 PM, E-minor7 said:

.  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .

Apart from that The THUMP.                                                                                                                                                                                                        Here's the video I sat up in the 10 (not 3 as mentioned) year old thread.
                                            The guy still Ts away between 3:25 and 4:00.

'Dead' & Dry - yet so alive. 

There's a fine line between thump . . .  

. . . and     t h u d  d.

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, BoSoxBiker said:

I know lots of folks in these parts agree with your sentiment. I've always been curious. How do y'all get around the intonation being off as old strings often do? Perhaps I'm being fussy when such things happen. 

Your ear is dialed in for accuracy. Some of us are so turned off by the sound of new strings,  it's a tradeoff we're willing to make.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BoSoxBiker said:

6 hours ago, 62burst said:

Your ear is dialed in for accuracy. Some of us are so turned off by the sound of new strings,  it's a tradeoff we're willing to make.

Yes, and it's not really that big a deal in the long phase before they actually breathe out. 

Btw. just boiled a set of 12-52 La Bella 80/20 for my 1965 Country Western. They sat 2 years between July 21 and May 23 on the 1963 J-45. The quite ripped CW sounds incredible as they start to fade again.