Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson acoustic strings out of stock

I have had these strings on order for over two months now. I ordered two sets from two different suppliers, and noticed they have been on "Back Order" for months.

Anyone know what is going on with the string shortage at Gibson?

I have been using the Phos-Bronze coated strings for years on my Doves in Flight, my Gibson acoustic Firebird, my Dove Quilted maple, and my SJ-200 guitars.

Is anyone else having problem getting Gibson acoustic strings. Any information regarding this issue would be greatly appreciated.

The good news is that the Gibson site does have my strings at the going rate of $12.99, but then they charge $5.99 to ship them.

The other companies charge the same price of $12.99, but the shipping is free. I think I'll wait for my other orders to be sent to me. 

Thanks for the info. though.

57 minutes ago, slimt said:

D addarios are really good.  Try those.   

I second this. D'addario phosphor bronze strings are on my J-45 and it's never sounded as glorious. 

Its one thing to like Gibson guitars. But to be purist to Gibson is another thing.   They have bought out many other Brands to make those there own.  Even though Gibson does not make strings, amps, truss rod covers, tuners, pickguards, binding, even the hard cases.  

I believe you are missing my point. I have been using these strings for over 20 plus years and have never been dissatisfied with them. Every place sells them for $12.99, and the shipping is FREE!  I still can't believe that Gibson is the only place that have them in stock., and then charge the ridicules price of $5.99. to ship them. I still will wait for the other supplier's to send me my orders.  Like I said, I love the strings (I have tried D'Addario and Excel coated phos-bronze strings) and they are not as warm or lasted as long on my collection of guitars that I own now, or in the past. Thanks for everyone's input to my original post.

48 minutes ago, Rich H. said:

I believe you are missing my point. I have been using these strings for over 20 plus years and have never been dissatisfied with them. Every place sells them for $12.99, and the shipping is FREE!  I still can't believe that Gibson is the only place that have them in stock., and then charge the ridicules price of $5.99. to ship them. I still will wait for the other supplier's to send me my orders.  Like I said, I love the strings (I have tried D'Addario and Excel coated phos-bronze strings) and they are not as warm or lasted as long on my collection of guitars that I own now, or in the past. Thanks for everyone's input to my original post.

I guess I’m curious, you said you tried DDarrio Xs’s.  So if these were the same $20 would you pay that if they shipped free?  And the shipping is probably not per set, so you could order 5 sets and only pay shipping once.  

No clue but if Gibson has them and vendors don’t, Gibson may be pulling back from shipping to distributors.  Anybody can advertise they sell something, that doesn’t mean they can get them if the supplier doesn’t want to ship them.  If Gibson has them in stock, I guess, it seems unlikely you will get your free shipping order filled anytime soon, if the vendor shows them on back order. 

If I can offer a little real perspective, it’s 6.00 bucks.  Bus fare.  If these were the strings I really liked, and I wanted them anytime soon, I figure it’s a pretty minimal cost of doing business.  And If $5.99 is really standing between me and the living on the street, well… maybe strings wouldn’t on the top of my spending list.  

On 6/19/2024 at 9:34 PM, mimmo said:

I second this. D'addario phosphor bronze strings are on my J-45 and it's never sounded as glorious. 

I'll say you have the workhorse of strings on the workhorse of Gibsons then.

Both splendid animals.

7 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

I'll say you have the workhorse of strings on the workhorse of Gibsons then.

Both splendid animals.

You put it very well, sir.