Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson J185 with mismatch serial number between headstock and cert stick and wrong model type on cert sticker

Hi All,

I'm looking at a second hand Gibson J185 that looks legit but alarm bells raised when the buyer sent a picture of the cert sticker on the inside.

First the serial number is different to the headstock and it has the model as J-185 EC. It has electronics but is not a cutaway.

Would you stay away?

• 2 weeks later...

My ‘95 Dove has a different S/N on the sticker than on the headstock. That guitar is most definitely genuine, it’s just the case that the factory drops the ball sometimes. If it looks, sounds and plays good then you could use the S/N disparity as a bargaining chip…

In revisiting this, I suppose it's possible OP has already made his decision.  To be more clear anyway - my vote  to pass on it was based on it being too far away to go inspect, two photos, not necessarily of the same guitar, no idea if there would be a money back guarantee in a reasonable time frame and no explanation on the front end from the seller.   While I'm sure Bozeman has type-od many oval labels  - I'm sure there are just as many illegitimate guitars out there.   

Be curious to hear back from Irish.  We rarely find out how the question was resolved.  

Edited by fortyearspickn