Gibson Brands Forums

Best way to hook turntable to computer?

NeoConMan

All this talk about vinyl got me motivated.

What's the best way to get all my albums converted into electronic files on my computer so I can make discs, etc...?

Gotta be somebody out there doing such a thing.

How would I hook my turntable to my computer?

All this talk about vinyl got me motivated.

What's the best way to get all my albums converted into electronic files on my computer so I can make discs' date=' etc...?

Gotta be somebody out there doing such a thing.

How would I hook my turntable to my computer?[/quote']

I've never used one but these things have been around awhile, and fairly cheap......... USB Turntable

Thanks guys.

CKLZ' date=' I'll look into it.

I don't want to buy [i']another[/i] turntable.

Hoping there's a way to adapt the TT outputs on the one I have now to a USB port.

on yours if its hooked up to a stereo system use the headphone jack

lots of ways to do this but a direct plug in off the phono won't work you need a phono preamp to bring up the line level. Rolls makes a fairly nice inexpensive box think it's the VP29 if I remember correctly can't find it right now in the studio. It's only about $50 bucks if I recall and has some automatic RIAA equalization built in.

USBPre by Sound Devices is a great box if you can find one used but much more expensive about $400 new but complicated so I got one pre-urchased by somebody who could not get it working for $150 it's complicated and expensive but will convert almost anything with the proper driver. And if money is no object or you want to do a big collection or do it commercially Rane makes some packages that combine software and hardware interfaces and basically give you pro quality conversions, but it's also very expensive in the $500+ range.

if your doing a personal collection a simple Phono Preamp like the Rolls and software recording package and your set and the quality will be close to CD quality and more than good enough for a ASAC or MP3 for a IPOD.

Hey Neo, you're looking at a very time consuming project. You have to record each of your records in real time, play each song all the way threw. So if you have 500 records at an average of 3 to 5 minutes each, you are looking at months of work, not to mention some sort of investment to do this, if not in a turntable in software and hardware. There are a lot of people that you could just bring your records to and say ok record these to a digital format. What you have to decide is what format.... MP3, WAVE and AIFF are the most popular, meaning you can play those types of files on most CD, DVD, computer or whatever. If you want to listen to your old records on an Ipod or other similar device get them converted to MP3. MP3 uses much less space than an AIFF or WAVE file but has less quality. Most people will not hear the difference though. Be careful some older CD players may not be able to read the MP3 files. Not to worry. Once you have your music on one of the digital formats you can always convert one file format to another. I use Itunes for that but there are many programs that will do it.

Hope this helps

My turntable has a preamp built in (with a little slide switch to either use or bypass). If yours has one, you don't need a preamp, but if it doesn't a preamp is recommended. You can also use the "tape out" of the amp you use to play your vinyl if you have one.

You can use the audio input of your computer's sound card, but you will be better using a USB-Audio interface, why? (1) better bandwidth = higher fidelity and (2) no static if you accidentally touch the mini phone jack.

+1 on Audacity

Have fun

Notes

Thanks guys.

CKLZ' date=' I'll look into it.

I don't want to buy [i']another[/i] turntable.

Hoping there's a way to adapt the TT outputs on the one I have now to a USB port.

The cheapest way....just miced the speaker of your record player.

Finally.....Youtube.

You can almost find anything on youtube now.

Archived