Gibson Brands Forums

Staining the matte nitro finish on a G Writer

I have a Gibson G Writer and I really want it to have a more yellowish color on the front but I don't want to sand the finish off. If there anything I can use to stain the finish? Gel stain? Any type of oils? Any advice is much appreciated. 

Welcome to the forums!

The G Writer has a satin nitrocellulose lacquer finish. I really don't think staining it would be a good idea (and doubt it would work very well), and I definitely would not recommend oiling it, outside of occasional mineral oil application to the fretboard to keep it conditioned; since the fretboard is ebony, you probably won't need to do that very often vs. what is needed to keep rosewood in good condition. Nitro does tend to yellow over time, especially with exposure to UV light, but it can take quite a bit of time. Outside of refinishing it, or having a luthier put a few extra coats of tinted lacquer over the existing finish, I'd personally recommend just letting time do the job for you. 

I've also heard of people polishing with brown shoe polish and it helps tint it. I've only heard of people doing it with Fender necks, but do you think it could help get the look that I want while I'm waiting on the natural yellowing?

Dear Gibson,

I bought one your guitars, but I want the finish to be how I want it and not how a professional guitar manufacturer does it. 

Dude, it’s your guitar. Do what you want with it.

DubT: So what if he doesn’t have any experience? I’m guessing that is exactly why he asked.  And come-on, it’s a G-writer, not an Original banner.  I doubt the guy is expecting to hang his retirement on it.  

Anyway, Brodie,  listen to Phil.  He knows what he is talking about and is being helpful.  Just mentioning, setting  it where the sun can hit it would likely change the finish in some manner, but it would be really unpredictable.  It might age it faster, but you couldn’t be sure it would turn the shade you want it to or do it consistently.  

Like Sarge says, it’s your guitar, go ahead do what you want with it, but stripping and refinishing likely the only way you’ll get the results you are looking for.  but for that price, it might be more economical to trade this one for a guitar with the finish you want. 

Good luck and welcome.  

If the OP is so determined to do this he should take it to a Professional Guitar Finisher & have it professionally done. Seems silly to most of us but whatever floats your Boat. Just don’t ruin a perfectly good Guitar for nothing.

They're meant to be played. Time will determine what it is to become. 

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, rct said:

Nobody can hear the tint of your guitar.

rct

Oh come on I can tell a burst from a black one any day of the week with my eyes shut. The black one sounds darker.

• Haha 1