Gibson Brands Forums

ABR Overdrilled

Notnotbad

I purchased an ES a month ago. During the first string change I noticed that the bridge had a lot of play. Upon inspection, I realized the bushing that the post screws into was completely loose— tilt the body and it falls out. Still waiting for Gibson to get back to me about possibly fixing it. Bummed out, for sure. Anyways— have any of you guys ever seen a hole like that over drilled and is Gibson good about fixing it (as in are they going to try to figure out way to blame me for it) Is it even worth taking a fix or should I try to get it swapped? Thanks (The guitar is brand new from a preferred gibson dealer) 

If you are still in the return window, yeah swapping is probably the easiest/fastest, but if you really love this one, Gibson would likely cover a repair like that under the warranty.  Unless you were trying to modify it, it obviously isn’t from “wear and tear.” 

On 7/24/2024 at 6:02 AM, IanHenry said:

10PoundLester & PrairieDog are right, the bridge is important for transferring string vibrations into the body so clearly this is not good enough.

That’s not Gibson’s slogan. 

• 1 month later...

I would worry about the stability of this kind of bridge (no I've never had one). Despite all the down pressure, there is sideways pull when tuning/bending etc. Especially if using a trem. 

I understand the perception of value for the ABR1 bridge, and I cant vouch for tone variation either way, but screwing bridge posts into wood has always seemed to me a poor solution from an engineering POV. 

For aerostructures m/c shop & assembly jigs, it was standard practice for tool design to specify threaded inserts into all aluminium jig base-plates. Ali is a lot more robust than wood, 

The Nashville bridges replaced that design for a reason.