Gibson Brands Forums

Hummingbird Pro 2012 Dimensions - What do i have??

JoGo

On 8/7/2024 at 12:48 PM, JoGo said:

Taylor asked me to borrow it to her, but no.... 😜

Actually i´m playing a quite crazy, colourful 70ies style show, that´s why my guitar looks like this...

Sorry for the off-topic diversion, but I'd love to see your setlist. I have quite a bit of fun bashing out single acoustic guitar arrangements of 70's songs ranging from "Brandy" to "Kashmir" and "Easy" to "Moonage Daydream". A Hummingbird sure can be versatile. 🙂 

Edited by BoSoxBiker

Stick what ever you want on your guitar it’s yours, but resale value just when to hell if or when you ever decided to sell it. I know I know - you will NEVER sell THIS guitar. I’ve said that a time or two or ten. Lots of us have said that.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

1 hour ago, BoSoxBiker said:

Sorry for the off-topic diversion, but I'd love to see your setlist. I have quite a bit of fun bashing out single acoustic guitar arrangements of 70's songs ranging from "Brandy" to "Kashmir" and "Easy" to "Moonage Daydream". A Hummingbird sure can be versatile. 🙂 

You can find some stuff (and some guitars...😜) on my youtube channel...

https://www.youtube.com/@kingofschlager

But my liveshow is different. I´m playing mostly german hitsongs from the seventies in appropriate clothing... Its kinda singalong party, and when the evening gets wild there are no style limits. Abba, ACDC, Beatles, Queen, Elvis, Tom Jones... anything...

9 minutes ago, JoGo said:

But my liveshow is different. I´m playing mostly german hitsongs from the seventies in appropriate clothing... Its kinda singalong party, and when the evening gets wild there are no style limits. Abba, ACDC, Beatles, Queen, Elvis, Tom Jones... anything...

C’mon, please tell me you’ll nudge into the 80s so you can do 99 Luft Balloons!?  😁 sound like a great time in any case!

Edited by PrairieDog

2 hours ago, JoGo said:

You may be right... But: I also know, the the Pro models were named "Hummingbird Pro" on the soundhole label. I have now contacted Gibson directly and am excited to see what they will say to me about it. I´ll let you know...! 😜

Really looking forward to hearing what they say 🙂

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Stick what ever you want on your guitar it’s yours, but resale value just when to hell if or when you ever decided to sell it. I know I know - you will NEVER sell THIS guitar. I’ve said that a time or two or ten. Lots of us have said that.

This guitar is my tool and did more than 300 live shows with me in the last 12 years. It´s scratched and scuffed, refretted, had several saddles and has often had to suffer quite a bit. But it´s true and reliable and feels somehow like a part of me. 

It´s absolutely priceless to me and i´d never ever sell it. 

Edited by JoGo
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, PrairieDog said:

C’mon, please tell me you’ll nudge into the 80s so you can do 99 Luft Balloons!?  😁 sound like a great time in any case!

Suuuure...! 😀 People often ask for it...

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, BoSoxBiker said:

Really? 'Always felt Brandy was completely off limits. . . even Red Hot Chili Peppers couldn't pull it off (imho). i.e, I dare you. 😀. Moonage Daydream- oh, ok- I could see that.

7 minutes ago, 62burst said:

Really? 'Always felt Brandy was completely off limits. . . even Red Hot Chili Peppers couldn't pull it off (imho). i.e, I dare you. 😀. Moonage Daydream- oh, ok- I could see that.

Brandy is as Arthritis enraging as wet weather. I've been trying to do that one every 6 months for 10+ years. I'm probably not more than a month removed from getting through it more than once, and that's only because of capo-2. Still struggle with the verses. I think my timing is off or I've got a chord wrong. I will have to check out the RHCP. 

1 hour ago, JoGo said:

Some fine choices in there!

Your cover of Lookin' Out My Back Door is awesome. The Jealous Guy cover reminded me a bit of Roxy Music's version a little bit. Really nice work. And nobody covers Vienna. Nice!

SSHPVSNH1 

S                S                  H                           P       V               S                   N            H                     1                

Square Shoulder Hummingbird Pro Vintage Sunburst  Nickel Hardware Right Handed

Edited by Skinny Boy Jackson
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Skinny Boy Jackson said:

SSHPVSNH1 

S                S                  H                           P       V               S                   N            H                     1                

Square Shoulder Hummingbird Pro Vintage Sunburst  Nickel Hardware Right Handed

This is interesting! Thank you!!! So it seems they produced some Square Shoulder Hummingbird Pros... (Or maybe just one...😛)

4 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I watched a few clips. Why are you not playing the sparkly guitar. I can see it hanging in the background. On the other hand, I am a Martin guy.

There are some clips with the sparkly guitar, this one f.e.. But it´s mainly my live guitar. I´m also quite into Martin Dreads... 

2 hours ago, JoGo said:

OK... I checked the papers of my regular Hummingbird Pro (with the Songwriter style body...), it has the very same model number...!?!

Screenshot_20240810_103118_Gallery.jpg

When did you buy the second guitar?  Was it in 2015? Just saying, that alteration in the year is not kosher at all.

The only remote reason I can think of, is if dealer changed the date to preserve the 1 year Euro warranty,  but then you’d think they would change the whole date to the sale date.  And why would they? After all, there  is the receipt to prove the purchase date, even if it sat in the warehouse for 4 years.  

In any case, the factory would not change the year to 2015 four years after they inspected it.  It’s a production model, part of an order, it got shipped out right after they built it.  

And, if the inspector mis-wrote the date in 2015 they would have just pulled a new card and redone it, because it makes up part of the legal paperwork for the warranty.  A alteration like this would immediately void the guarantee.  

You said you bought the first one from ThomMann in Germany.  Is there a brick and mortar store, or online?  And where did you get this one? The same site?  This slip makes zero sense, and something is sniffy somewhere in all this.   

It will be very interesting to see what you hear from Gibson.  I’d ask after the serial number on your second one as well.  

I bought the second guitar used, just a few days ago. But i do think, that everything is ok. Also the serial Number says it´s a 2015. The guitar is great, nothing wrong with it. 

I bought the first one brandnew at thomann.de, which is the biggest dealer in europe, i believe meanwhile the biggest worldwide. Absolutley serious. Not far away from where i live. I´ve been there personally often, there is still the brick and mortar store, but they are huuuge in the internet.

8 hours ago, JoGo said:

I´m also quite into Martin Dreads... 

Love that statement. I owned many a Martin Dread.

I now  have a 000-18 and 000-28.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

• 1 month later...

I still have to tell you this: In the meantime, we received a response from Gibson. But nothing more than that my guitar was registered and delivered as a Hummingbird Pro. I asked again why the shape and scale length is like a standard Hummingbird and why the label only says "Hummingbird", but there was no answer. This can probably no longer be reconstructed. It will probably always remain a secret...

I suspect something was simply mixed up during production. It doesn't bother me because I love this guitar...