Gibson Brands Forums

What's a GOTW#2 worth (now with pics of my new baby)

Fast Ferry

Hi everybody,

I have a simple question. I might be able to get me a Guitar of the Week #2 a.k.a. a Les Paul Classic Fireburst.

The only thing is, I can't seem to find what this guitar is actually worth. It's in mint condition.

What did they cost at the time, and what should they go for nowadays.

Thanks.

Is it new or used?

What its worth is hard to say because it's a "limited edition" and people won't want to sell it for less than they feel it's worth. My opinion is to look at what used Classics are selling for and look towards the high end. The asking price of the few used GOTWs that I've seen for sale up here was basically list price.

Well.....the owner says it's never been used, so it's practically new.

He has sent me pics of it and it basically looks exactly the same as yours LPguitarman.

Untill now I was in the market for a nice LP Standard....a cherryburst or maybe an Iced Tea burst.

But then I spotted this one and I do like it. And I think his price is right.

Ok, one more question then: Can anybody tell me the difference(s) between a Les Paul Classic and a Standard?

I wanted a Standard, because of Slash.....plain and simpel. But what makes a Classic a Classic and a Standard a Standard?

Fast Ferry, one of the main differences between the stock Classics, Classic Antiques, and Standards is the pickups. Respectively, they are as follows: 496R/500T (Classics), 57/57+ (Classic Antiques), and Burstbucker Pros (Standards). As far as aesthetics, most of the recent Classics will tend to be plaintops whereas the Classic Antiques and Standards have flame maple tops. All three have binding on the top and fretboard, but the Classic Antique takes it around the headstock as well.

Here's another shot of a Classic Antique - Fireburst. Good luck in your hunt.

1902694286_c368d5e7db.jpg

Its worth what people are willing to pay for it. Given the current market and availability of similar guitars, I'd say the whole limited edition collectibility doesn't mean much and you could probably get about what any other similar used guitar is going for. And that color is pretty loud, seems people love it or hate it so you'd have to find the right buyer at the right time.

Well....I decided to at least go take a look tonight and try out the guitar.

Which probably means I'm gonna buy it =D> .

If I do I'll be sure to post some pics here. Unless you people won't care.

Anyway, thanx for the quick replies.

Pictures are a must. Hope you love it as much as I do mine. The binding around the headstock makes it stand out better than the Standard headstock. The 57/57+ pickups are hot. Great bluesy tone in the middle switch position.

Here's some more pics of mine.

LPC_EmailLPCAFINH-JPGSLPCAFINH_01.jpg

LPC_EmailLPCAFINH-JPGSLPCAFINH_04.jpg

C_EmailLPCAFINH-JPGSLPCAFINH_15.jpg

Fast Ferry' date=' one of the main differences between the stock Classics, Classic Antiques, and Standards is the pickups. Respectively, they are as follows: 496R/500T (Classics), 57/57+ (Classic Antiques), and Burstbucker Pros (Standards). As far as aesthetics, most of the recent Classics will tend to be plaintops whereas the Classic Antiques and Standards have flame maple tops. All three have binding on the top and fretboard, but the Classic Antique takes it around the headstock as well.

Here's another shot of a Classic Antique - Fireburst. Good luck in your hunt.

[img']http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2414/1902694286_c368d5e7db.jpg[/img]

Nice Flame on that Fireburst gromaj. Are you the proud owner?

Well.....I did it. I bought it. And I think it's a real beauty.

Haven't got real good pics because of the lack of daylight right now, but for now these will have to do.

I've read it before though, pics don't do it justice. But still.....it'll give you guys an idea and I really like to show it to you guys. :-#

AntiqueFireburstTop.jpg

BijlageninKoffer.jpg

Frontbijlagenenkoffer.jpg

achterkantheadstock2.jpg

hals.jpg

CIMG2803.jpg

CIMG2804.jpg

CIMG2805.jpg

And here it is next to my Epiphone Les Paul:

CIMG2806.jpg

Fast Ferry, I'll have to let you know later. I'm not at home right now. If I remember right, mine was made on January 16th, 2007. I took delivery on June 13th, 2007. I'll look at it and reply again later.

What city are you in? Sure would be nice to jam together with (2) identical guitars. What style of music are you into?

LPguitarman....that sure would be nice, but that'll probably never happen. There's a very big puddle between us.

I now changed my profile so it says where I'm from.

But to answer the other question, I'm very much into a lot of "guitardriven" music.

I like Guns 'n Roses (the original Guns that is), Black Crowes, AC/DC, Thin Lizzy, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Kid Rock, ZZ Top, Metallica, Gary Moore, Stevie Ray Vaughan, 3 doors down, Matchbox20, etc.

The list goes on and on.

As for playing I like the same stuff. Although I'm not nearly good enough to actually play it like it should be played.

But hey....today I got me a new reason to try harder.=D>

Wow, the Netherlands. Too far for me too. I'm into most of the same stuff you're into. Basically 70's rock. My favorites are RUSH, Led Zepp, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Deep Purple, Yes, the list goes on and on.

Take care of your new baby. Congratulations.

Nice Flame on that Fireburst gromaj. Are you the proud owner?

Thanks, it is mine. The flame just happened to be captured well in the photo (it does not jump out as much in person). Mine was produced on 1-8-07.

Just a question about your guitar stand. Unless you know it to be nitrocellulous safe, you -definitely- need to wrap some WHITE cotton socks around the posts. This prevents the guitar's finish from absorbing the color of the stand. (It's black anyway, but it's better to be safe than sorry)

Fast Ferry' date=' my serial number is 001670616.

Now we know where 3 of them are. Mine, yours, and gromaj. Where's the other 397?[/quote']

Ok....mine's 001270344.

Which tells me it was built on jan 12th 2007. The 6th digit is some kinda batchnumber that turns in to a 1 once the 699th guitar of that day has been stamped. So mine was 344th that got stamped that day.

At least...that's what I make of it.

So yours is WAAAAAY newer than mine LPguitarman....hahaha. Mine's almost antique compared to yours=d>