Gibson Brands Forums

1 7/8 Nut Width

Rob_NC

Hi -- is there a  6 string Gibson acoustic model that has  a 1 7/8 nut width?  Looking for something with a bit more room for finger picking -- not looking for a classical guitar.  Looking for something from the 1950s to the mid 60s. 

thanks in advance,

rob

Edited by Rob_NC
needed additional info for clarity

The widest steel string Gibson guitar neck I have in my collection is a 1994 Gibson Gospel Reissue.  It’s a reissue of a 70’s Gibson Gospel.  I don’t know about the specs of the original Gospel but, the Gospel Reissue has the widest neck in my collection.  It was Gibson’s attempt to compete with Taylor’s specs, so the neck is wider tha traditional Gibsons.  It was my go-to Gibson for many years.  A workhorse that is priced lower, too.

QM aka “ Jazzman” Jeff

When I think of 1 7/8" nut, I think of Martin style 12 fret dreads.  I had a Larrivee SD-60 for a while, great guitar with a huge sound, but that wide nut was just too much for my hands.

50 minutes ago, egoidealmusic said:

Wasn't the Folksinger equiped with a much wider nut as it's basically a classical guitar neck?

Yes, but as it is a classical style neck they also were built with a flat board.  The wide nut was fine but the board radius was another thing.

I’ve had a few newer Smecks that were 1.81. 
I have a new Martin that is 1.81. 
I have a Taylor nylon that is 1.875

I’ve never had a 1.875 steel guitar except for a 12 string. 

Edited by Dave F

Thanks to all for your comments and suggestions -- i'll follow up on them and see what i come up with.  i have a 1976 Martin D 12-18 (1.875) and have been doing exactly what Dave F suggests and it works fine.   the D-18S could be another option but was looking for a Gibson.

thanks again,

rob