Gibson Brands Forums

Need help Finding year and value of Vintage Gibson

kimlaferriere

This number is from the dark years of Gibson serial numbers and record keeping. I show the possibility of that number coming up in 1965, 68, 74 & 75.

If you want any real answers your going to have to furnish much more information than that, including detailed photos. We're glad to help around here, but your gonna have to make a little better effort on giving us something to go on.

I can't upload a pick but tried putting it as my user pic. Looks like it worked. The serial #'s are stamped on the back of the headstock. Doesn't say Made in USA. Don't know the history behind it, my father picked it up a few months back.

• 2 weeks later...
I have a Les Paul Custom with serial# 175543. According to one source' date=' this is a 1964-1965 make.[/quote']

Sorry, but your "one source" couldn't be more wrong (probably the guitar dater project). This type Les Paul was not even made during those years.

What you have there is a Norlin era early/mid 70's LP Custom. And during this era, the serial number alone is not enough information to even date it. The 175,XXX was possibly used in 70,71,72,73,74 & 75. There are no existing records that can narrow it down from the number alone. From the one photo alone I would say 74ish. The best way to date this guitar would be by the code numbers on the back of the potentiometers. Open up the control cavity and see if you can get the numbers, hopefullt not all of them will be covered by solder.

Before you get too concerned over how much it is worth, you ought to know what you have.

If it has a Nashville bridge - its newer than 1975

This information is incorrect. First, sometime in 1975 Gibson completely changed their serial number scheme to an eight digit format (the first two digits were a code for the year), and second, I own a 1975 LP Standard S#99xxxxxx, with a Nashville bridge.

From the picture I can't really tell which bridge it has anyway. Regardless of the bridge, this guitar can not be any "newer" than early '75.

I think it's a 1975. A got a note from a guitar collector that it's probably a 1975 because it has "Made in USA" stamped on the headstock under the serial number. Even though the serial number, 175543, is in the range specified for 1964-1965 in Gibson's serial number chart, I realized that my there were some 1975 guitars that had serial #s in the 100000s. Is 1975 considered a vintage guitar, and what is the approximate value? Thanks.

I think it's a 1975. A got a note from a guitar collector that it's probably a 1975 because it has "Made in USA" stamped on the headstock under the serial number. Even though the serial number' date=' 175543, is in the range specified for 1964-1965 in Gibson's serial number chart, I realized that my there were some 1975 guitars that had serial #s in the 100000s. Is 1975 considered a vintage guitar, and what is the approximate value? Thanks.[/quote']

As to whether it's a "vintage" guitar, I'd say that's subjective. There's no magic cutoff point... it is what it is.

As to the value, you can find out what dealers are asking by doing a search at GBase: GBase

or, you can search ebay for completed sales and current auctions; or look at Craigslist.

Remove the control cover and look for a seven digit number that likely begins with either 137 or 304. The fourth and fifth digits represent te last two numbers of the year. The final two digits is the week of that year that the pot was produced. For example 1377304 would have been made in the fourth week of 1973.

Assuming the pots are original, this can narrow the range down somewhat. If you find early 1974 dates you can safely call it a 1974. If it's late in 1974 you might call it a 1975, as pots can sit in a parts bin for a long time.

Gibson stamped their logo on pickups in 1972. It's possible some were done in 1971 and maybe some in 1973 but the bulk in '72.

Gibson stamped their logo on pickups in 1972. It's possible some were done in 1971 and maybe some in 1973 but the bulk in '72.

My reference materials indicate that "Gibson" embossed pickups were used from late 1970 to May 1972. That would put the bulk in 1971. The SG Deluxe model pictured, was made from 71-73. The 600000 serial numbers were used in 70,71,72.

Doing the math, I think you can effectively eliminate 70 & 73. That leaves 1971 or 1972. Unless (or even if) you find a pot code of very early of the given year, I don't think it is possible to narrow it down any further.

This guitar obviously had a Bigsby on it originally, and someone has removed it and mounted a stop tailpiece where the front of the Bigsby would have been. This looks to be a very amateur job and non-Gibson parts. Also, the bridge is noyt original. It looks to be a "Nashville", or aftermarket, bridge. This guitar would have originally come with an ABR-1 bridge. The tuners have also probably been replaced, they look like Grover's, which would not have been stock for this guitar.

All that said, I would just call it from whatever year the pot code date is. No one can really argue with that reasoning.

Well Ksdaddy the Number under the control cover is 1377206, so It should be 1972, am I right?? That would figure to what you said about stamping the pickups.

The whole guitar is original exept for the bridge and tuners (exacly L5Larry they are Grover's).

I will try to change the tuners for the original one if i find some. O:)

Here is the original look of same SG Deluxe.

Is it a bigsby tremolo or is it one made by Gibson self????

I almost bought exacly the same one (from SG from 70's) on ebay but in the last moment someone was faster. =D>O:)

b3sgDELUXE.jpg

• 3 months later...
A got a note from a guitar collector that it's probably a 1975

Is 1975 considered a vintage guitar' date=' and what is the approximate value?[/quote']

Depends largely on condition.

Wild-*** guess, $2k.

Excellent condition, maybe $3k.

Maybe more if you have time to sell it and don't need fast cash from the first-comer.

Watch Ebay, see what the stuff is selling for on there - NOT what they're asking....

Any dealer is gonna low-ball you because he needs to sell it again and make a profit.

Used guitars of any vintage often don't sell very fast for a number of reasons, so you'll get a chump offer.

Archived