Gibson Brands Forums

Help choosing an SG...

Phantom123

I've been wanting an SG for a pretty long time, and I finally have the money (About 1500) to buy one! That said, Now I need to figure out what is the best investment. I have been eyeing the Epiphone G-1275 Doubleneck, and Gibson Robot SG. However, I've heard people suggest that the robot isn't worth it, because it does not work very well, isn't updated yet, and is based on the SG Special which is a lower quality SG. Someone recently suggested the '61 reissue. What do I choose, and are there other suggestions?

I play mostly Hard rock, classic rock, metal, and blues. As well, I play in multiple tunings (thus why I looked at robot)

What is the gibson forum's opinion? I can go up to about 1800 max or so, since I may sell my epiphone Les Paul to help fund this (Probably will, actually). As well, if you think there is a guitar better than an SG for that money, tell me! Gibson or not, I just want to make the right decision :P

for $1800 you should be able to ge a Gibson SG '61 Reissue out the door.

Gibson just dropped the price on the SG Standard to $1199, I went that way....

You'll have some cash left over and you won't be disappointed

for $1800 you should be able to ge a Gibson SG '61 Reissue out the door.

Gibson just dropped the price on the SG Standard to $1199' date=' I went that way....

You'll have some cash left over and you won't be disappointed

[/quote']

What is the advantage of the reissue? And how does it compare to the other listed guitars?

Hmmm. I like the SG Standard. I've never played one of the '61 reissues. I'd recommend trying out each of those and seeing what you like. I think the main difference is the pickups in the guitars. The Standard has a 496r and a 498t, while the '61 has a set of 57 classics. Both are really sharp looking guitars, but the '61 is probably the winner in the looks department. I like that the standard has more options for finish though. *sigh* Decisions, decisions, decisions... Just take your time. You'll know it when you play it. The most important thing is to try them out and see what you like the best.

*Also, I wouldn't worry about the tuning thing. You can get a nice chromatic stage tuner for around $80, and still have money left over...

Great to hear a reply. Have you heard much about the '61, or it's pickups? What do you think of them in comparison to the Gibsons (Or what have you heard). Finally, I'm able to tune by ear, it's the length of time it takes to change tunings that irks me when live. Is a robot a good enough guitar to warrant it?

Honestly I haven't heard a lot about the '61's but, a lot of people on here really seem to dig 'em. I like the 57 classic pickups that are in those guitars, so it's definitely going to sound good.

As for the Robot tuning thing, I'm personally not that into it. It's a cool idea, but the Robot is basically just a SG special that tunes itself. I'd go for something that sounds better (like the 61 or the Standard -they have better pickups). Also, (and this may just be the pessimist in me talking) I worry about how much it would cost to replace one of the tuning pegs on a Robot SG. I'm careful with all my equipment, but I've knocked off a tuning peg at a gig once. I bet it's probably way cheaper to change one of those tuners vs. one of the tiny motorized tuners.

You may have convinced me (Also known as thank you) to pursue a Gibson '61. My last request, what do you know about the Epiphone G-1275 Double neck? How versatile is it? Would it be a more valuable addition to my stage show than a single necked Gibson?

I disagree. I think my Robot has many advantages over a Standard.

1. The sweet Full Headstock Binding

2222.jpg

2. The locking tuners

3. The Roller Bridge Saddles

4. The seamingly Better Quality Builds. (My is real sweet)

5. Real kool Colors.

6 And of course it's Quick/on the Fly Alternate Tuning Capabilities.

Along with it's Special pre-set memories

THEROBOTS2008.jpg

And Besides I got mine for 1199.99.

000_4725-1.jpg

And I got-a get me a Purple and Blue one someday

You may have convinced me (Also known as thank you) to pursue a Gibson '61. My last request' date=' what do you know about the Epiphone G-1275 Double neck? How versatile is it? Would it be a more valuable addition to my stage show than a single necked Gibson? [/quote']

'61 reissues are going for $2000 on Musician's Friend but I'd say you could find one cheaper--maybe $1800?

Hm, the doubleneck? I haven't had much experience with them. They do have limited seriously limited upper-fret access and only twenty frets to boot. But if you don't play that high very often, then you do get some of the Jimmy Page vibe from them plus the ability to go from 12-string chords to 6-string leads in the same song near-instantly, which are seriously awesome on stage. I don't know if it has separate outputs for each neck, though it probably wouldn't be hard to mod it that way. You could use an A/B box to switch amps if that isn't an option or if you just wanted to make sure the other neck didn't start feeding back. For "stage factor" they're really impressive, and Epi tends to put out consistently high-quality stuff. Personally I prefer having my 12-string as a separate guitar, but then that does mean I can't use both sounds without switching instruments. They are pretty big and cumbersome compared to a normal SG, but that might not bother you.

EDIT: Ah, looks like they have a neck-selector switch too.

I've been wanting an SG for a pretty long time' date=' and I finally have the money (About 1500) to buy one! That said, Now I need to figure out what is the best investment. I have been eyeing the Epiphone G-1275 Doubleneck, and Gibson Robot SG. However, I've heard people suggest that the robot isn't worth it, because it does not work very well, isn't updated yet, and is based on the SG Special which is a lower quality SG. Someone recently suggested the '61 reissue. What do I choose, and are there other suggestions?

I play mostly Hard rock, classic rock, metal, and blues. As well, I play in multiple tunings (thus why I looked at robot)

What is the gibson forum's opinion? I can go up to about 1800 max or so, since I may sell my epiphone Les Paul to help fund this (Probably will, actually). As well, if you think there is a guitar better than an SG for that money, tell me! Gibson or not, I just want to make the right decision :-[/quote']

Is ithis déjà vu, or did you post the same question twice on two threads? :-

Are you gigging or just collecting?

If you're collecting, the best return would be on the '61 or a nice double neck.

If you're gigging: Double necks offer more playing options than single necks, but they weigh more. Not so great for playing a couple of sets.

Robots are targeted for players using alt tunings. I've had my Robot SG for 7 months with no problems and it's fantastic for quick tuning changes on stage. The additional mechanical and electronic apparatus does make for more possible part failures. (BTW, the Robot SG comes in the Std issue and the Ltd issue (enbony fretboard, inlays, bound neck and headstock), both have the 498T/490R pup combo).

The '61 is a solid choice on both fronts - collecting and gigging. And that's what I would recommend to you.

Gibson just made some price cuts so you might find a pretty good deal. Good luck.

What is the advantage of the reissue? And how does it compare to the other listed guitars?

The reissue come with 57 classic and 57 classic plus which have a wormer tone, also slim taper which is faster neck.

By the way, since the new pricing in SG standard is around $1,199 I would go for it!!! :)

I did post this question, kind of XP The other thread died, and I basically waited a day or two of thinking it over before creating a final thread. It mysteriously resurrected itself later. The original, I wasn't looking at the vintage, or the '61. Reguardless, it's looking like '61 is the winner here.

(PS: I am gigging, but I was/am considering vintage for the reason of resale in the future; the guitar will get resold eventually, always has to be that way, but I might get similiar playability with greater resale on a vintage. Unless they are less playable, and no one ever told me XD

Archived