Gibson Brands Forums

Firefox

Flight959

Thanks to some old advice here on the forums I changed my Browser to Firefox. After a recent laptop crash I completed a full software rebuild. I reinstalled Firefox and carried on as normal. Recently however I have really noticed Firefox running slow or stuttering whilst scrolling. I have also lost all my bookmarks. Normally when I close the browser and reopen it It auto logs me in, this has also stopped . Previously when I logged in I used to got the information box telling me I had a PM but now this no longer works either...

The kids are often on my laptop and being just 3 and 4 I am wondering if they have changed a setting by accident.

I also get a message box popping up telling me my virtual memory is to low.... Nothings changed and I only use the laptop for the net...

Any advice would be great..

Regards

Guitarest,

Tried that, rebooted it, done disk cleanup and scan disk for bad sectors, defragged it, checked it for spyware, increased the virtual memory checked for updates etc etc... I tend to keep both my laptop and desktop well maintained,The problem appears to be getting worse...

Its not the newest laptop but it's well up to the job of surfing the net...

Regards

This is a great tool and might actually help' date=' House Call is a trendmicro product that uses a internet based product to scan your PC and see if there is something hiding. I am assuming the entire intent cache has been cleared. Now the children have they installed Limewire or any programs that all free mp3's? Dont answer out in the forum but those programs like this allow install of loads of bad stuff that will take away your virtual memory and also allow for install of nasty viruses or even malware.

I use AVG.. I aslo run adaware and spybot..

My boys are 3 and 4....

Its now at the stage where if I press the return key after a sentance it takes about 3 sec for the curser to appear underneath..

I dumped FF for Opera about a year ago.

The constant little headaches just aren't worth it. Opera has never given a bit of trouble.

Give it a try. I think you'll like the features and ease of use.

As a certified Microsoft tech' date=' I also hold certs with Dell, HP, IBM and a Certified Solution Provider for HP and Dell.

I agree with ya, but dont say this too loud; I need more guitars.[/quote']

mums the word

My main comp is a Power PC iMac, but I also have a Dell mini with Leopard (that I bought) installed

I've used Firefox quite a while on both PC and Mac...

My recommendation is to close FF every now and then if you've been doing heavy surfing. Do the bit with the clear private data, although that will of course mean individual logon when you return to a site.

It's multi platform so my guess is that its "garbage collection," a big deal back in the 8-bit computer days, may not be all that good on any given platform, but it seems to me it does clean up well if you shut down and restart occasionally while hitting various privacy buttons to dump that offline content too. That seems to help me.

I really like the customization possible...

As for Macs... I've had to use them. Even was shop's "systems mgr" a while in the real Mac OS era before OS-X which is just a variation of Unix (Remember Jobs' "NEXT" computer?) put onto what functionally is a PC with Intel chips. The problems even then were kinda interesting with poor disaster recovery, poor handling of Raids, etc.

I've had them crash pretty nastily. Never liked Unix much, less on the Mac regardless what they call the OS.

My PCs usually are pretty "customized" and some might think in ways they look like OS9 Macs. <grin> I long since determined that I prefer what gives me more OS control and Macs don't. Unfortunately so also increasingly with PCs. Ah, for the good old days if Win 3.1 interface and customizability were available today.

m

Jocko,

Tried the House Call program... It wasn't having it. The version you sent in the link and the newer one didn't work.. Got the error on page in the corner with the little yellow triangle... The older version said there was a problem and sked be to restart the program..

Its an IBM ThinkPad I'm using...

Regards

I have dialup because of my location. A half mile down the road I could have cable. If the topography were a little better I could get wireless. I connect at 28.8. It's not pleasant. I don't have the money for the Hughesnet thing so I'm pretty much stuck. I use a little Acer laptop most of the time as my 2002 Dell is just too old and cranky. I have Vista ad I boosted the Ram to 2GB.

I've got IE8 and it's nothing but grief. "This page cannot be displayed" all the time. I use CCleaner regularly but sometimes if I've been online for more than 20 minutes it's just easier to close IE and re-open it. I installed Firefox and Opera and neither is any better.

Guess it just sucks to be me.

Yeah shutting off your computer is good things to do cause it will clean out your memory chips so start ups is little bit easier. Also doing Scan disk and defragment of your hard drive helps too.

Archived