Gibson Brands Forums

fading fretboard

OhioKid

I just recently got an SG classic (which sounds amazing btw) and it is my first guitar with a rosewood fretboard. It looks like t is starting to fade and the low strings side it is a dark brown, but on the side with the higher strings, it is turning to a lighter brown. Has anyone ever experienced this before? Any suggestions, I really don't want to lose tone from this amazing instrument!

Has the guiitar been exposed to the sun ? Do you have any pictures ? Some formulations of lemon oil initially darken the wood, and then the tint becomes slightly lighter. Most lemon oil preparations are actually around 99% mineral oil with a lemon fragrance. Products with real lemon oil are corrosive to lacquer, binding, frets and adhesives. This is why Martin advise against using it.

Realy thats nothing to worry about it just looks like the tone of the wood. If your that bothered then remove the strings and rub in some lemon oil and it will all look the same shade. Unless its ebony it will always have slight colour changes in the grain.

Im going to start by saying "Im no expert" but, maybe if you are concerned about fading, you should consider keeping your axe in a case or at the very least a gig bag. Direct sunlight is not good for most things and with a guitar there is more than just fading to worry about (wood can dry out and it could warp particularly if it gets the heat of the sun from a particular angle all the time). I know it looks cool to have it out on a stand and it also encourages practicing regularly to do so but if you must do that, put it well back away from the window in the most shaded part of the room.

Thanks for all your help! I will keep it on the other side of the room where, there is no sun shining in. Also, if anyone is looking around for a new guitar, try the classic out. It is one awesome guitar!

It looks fine - but it's wise to keep an instrument out of the sun. The heat causes rapid loss of moisture which can lead to cracks forming. Also, UV radiation is absorbed which damages the lignin holding the wood cells together.

Archived