Gibson Brands Forums

Pickup advice on a Studio Lite

King Matthew

I am relatively new here and I have a question that am hoping someone can help me with. I have a 91 Studio Lite (i think). I have had it for about 13 years. I am pretty positve that it has the 500t/496r pickups in it. The issue that I have is that I just cant really get much midrange sound out of it, it sounds really muddy. Does anyone have any advice on pickup settings, or would a pickup cover make much of a difference, or should I just switch them out(if so what suggestions).

My primary guitars are tele's, that is not necessarily the sound i'm going for with this, but i do like to be able to hear all the strings when they are played.

I have read some stuff on some other sites, but i would like to get as much info as i can before i start tearing into it. I play it thruough a blues jr.

So, if anyone has any advice for me I would appreciate it, I never play the thing because I cant get the sound I like, and it's too nice of a guitar to just waste it's life sitting in it's case. I will try to post some pix of it later...

Thanks

I'd look into seymour duncan 59's' date=' they have added mids.

Also a change in speakers to a set of vintage 30's could add mid[/quote']

+100000

I put a Duncan 59' into my Washburn. Its cleans are just so amazing even on that guitar. Distortion is Crunchy, not stale. One thing I noticed, The Tone Pot now has much more influence on the sound with the pickup.

Edit: Just saying, I can go from Metallica style Thrash sound, to Blues without really doing anything besides a few effects etc. Most versatile pickup I have ever seen.

I played this studio that King Matt is talking about, yesterday. It is very muddy. He told me with new strings it doesn't have the same tendency towards the muddy sound.

I suggested classic 57 PUP in the bridge, but I admit my experience is weak on these types of changes.

Have you tried lowering the pups? You can get a pretty big change in tone by moving the pups away from the strings. I have 490r/490t pair in my LPs and they are nice, balanced pups, I also have the '57 classics in one of my gibsons and they are sweet sounding pups. The 490s seem to have a "richer" midrange than the '57s.

pickups_output-chart1.jpg

What you have is a Studio, not a Studio lite.

And yes lowering the pickups will warm things up and maybe help the mids.

The Studio however came with the 480r and 498t pickups. Same as the Les Paul Custom.

What you have is a Studio' date=' not a Studio lite.

And yes lowering the pickups will warm things up and maybe help the mids.

The Studio however came with the 480r and 498t pickups. Same as the Les Paul Custom.

[/quote']

Was that the PUP's that were on early 90's Studios?

The guitar is a '91 model. I always thought that it was a studio lite for some reason....I'm not sure what put that idear in my head, but it has been there for a while. I am exceptionally busy at this time of year, but I have time carved out tomorrow for practice. I will drop the pickups a bit and see what happens. I also am going to clean the pots, at 1-3 on bridge volume i get a little bit of scratch. Thanks a lot guys, I'll let you know what happens.

Archived