Gibson Brands Forums

EMG's (81, 85, 69 , 89 etc) IN A LES PAUL?

CustomESP

I recently (2 weeks ago) picked up a gibson les paul studio VM (love it!) and wanted to know what other users opions were about a dropping in a certain set of active pickups (I have 'em in my ESP, just haven't had 'em in a les paul). I was thinking about an 81 in the bridge and a 60 in the neck. Anyone have a les paul with a similar setup? What do you like? Pros and Cons? Musical Styles? Amps? Anything you can think of would be helpful as I love user feedback especially firsthand. Cheers!

I had EMG's in a Jackson RR model years ago... ( 81/85 )

They sound very powerful, but in my opinion they sound best for

that aggressive rock sound. Dare I say metal?

I read a quote a while back...

"Batteries are for flashlights, not for guitars"

I guess I'm a purist. I think Les Pauls should be vintage and classic. Just like Strats should not have humbuckers! I'm wierd like that. My opinion is that there are plenty of hot rod, shredder guitars out there(Ibanez, BC Rich, Jackson etc) that are great for metal and EMG's. Why spend all that extra money for a Gibson and then make it sound like a generic shredding guitar?

• Like 1

If you put some emgs there your LP will sound as close to your ESP as it can. Do you want that? I wouldnt buy a LP (or any other guitar with such a caracteristic sound and history) to put in some pickups that would take away all the tone.

I do have EMGs in one guitar, the Zakk Wylde set i put in my 15 year old epi piece of crap. It improved the sound 1000% but if i compare it to my gibson, the gisbon, simply put, has tone. And lots of. The emgs sound allways the same...

Hi, I play mostly metal too... and i would suggest you play a lot with both guitars before investing on emgs for your new les paul. Maybe you will find useful to have two different sounds, the les paul you have should sound very nice, even for metal. I think my les pauls pickups arent as hot as the ones that come in the vintage mahogany (mine is a standard faded with burstbucker pros) and they deliver for metal, so yours should too. I use a moded boss metal zone into an AC30 from vox, not what you would call a metal amp... and the guitar and pickups deliver even better than the one with emgs, and gives me also plenty of tonal options when i want to play blues or even jazz.

I guess I'm a purist. I think Les Pauls should be vintage and classic. Just like Strats should not have humbuckers! I'm wierd like that. My opinion is that there are plenty of hot rod' date=' shredder guitars out there(Ibanez, BC Rich, Jackson etc) that are great for metal and EMG's. Why spend all that extra money for a Gibson and then make it sound like a generic shredding guitar? [/quote']

+1

The only LP I've heard with EMG pups was a guitar of the week - LP Studio w/EMG 85 & 81. It sounded like crap, frankly. Too muddy. I planned on buying it, but after hearing it, it remained in the store. I ended up with a SG guitar of the week, seen here, with the same EMG pups - excellent guitar!

• 12 years later...

Hi Gibson,

I play with a gentleman who has a custom shop Led Paul purchased from a shop in Germany. It is a factory issue with EMG pick ups.

I would have to ask him if he knows the model (81, 85).

One, that was the most incredible sounding guitar I've ever heard.

Have you considered another run?

Respectfully,

Gibson Studio guy

You would be better off to spend that cash on a set of Doug Aldrich signature pickups from Suhr Guitars if your heart is set on swapping out pickups. That sig set are the best made for a Les Paul and go from very vintage sounding to hot rodded super hot with pot adjustments and pick attack. The cost for the set is similar to Gibson’s fancy pickups as well. IMO sound better as well (yes they are that good).