Gibson Brands Forums

New Les Paul Robot

daveinspain

Yes, there is a new production run (a 2nd limited edition run), and it is purple which i like more than the blue/silver, i saw them recently on the gibson site, there is a paul and a SG, I saw them on MF but for preorder only, I didnt know they were already for sale.

The guy selling it doesnt have any pics but one of the box, do robots come in a blank box? Cause i thought gibson boxes had gibson writen on them.

I believe they should be in a gibson box.

I believe the others were.

They may just be showing a box because they have one on they way. Did they give a number of the guitar?

I was lucky enough to talk with Les Paul about these.

I think MF was selling them starting on March 28 but it might be their order was slow getting out. There's supposed to be a metallic green version also. Maybe the guy on ebay has one on pre-order and he's trying to flip it as fast as he can? Asking price on MF was $2800 for the Paul and $2300 for the SG.

Hey I just saw this on Ebay.... I guess there is a new production run of the Robot. In the add it says it a limited run of 1000. Anyone know anything else?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gibson-Limited-Edition-Robot-Les-Paul-Studio-Guitar_W0QQitemZ140218221081QQihZ004QQcategoryZ38086QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

They're not a limited run, it's a regular production model. Wait long enough and your local Gibson dealer should have a them.

They're not a limited run' date=' it's a regular production model. Wait long enough and your local Gibson dealer should have a them.[/quote']

Not from what I've read. The Les Paul SG Special Limited Robot and the Les Paul Studio Limited Robot are limited editions of 1,000 units each. There may be purple metallic regular production Robots eventually, but what's going on sale TODAY are the limited editions.

Musician's Friend and others have had them available for pre-order for $2,399 (SG) and $2,799 (LP). Sweetwater.com had them listed at their full retail prices of $3,599 (SG) and $3,999 (LP), but they sold out quickly and now their site doesn't even list them.

If anyone wants a limited edition, purple metallic SG Special Robot or Les Paul Studio Robot, you'd better act FAST! <g>

Cat Daddy

Cat Daddy,

OK, this is off the website. Maybe I misread it. I was referring to the "And while there will never be another Limited Edition Robot Guitar..."

But if you read the last sentence, it says "Available in limited edition Purple Metallic finish."

Wait a minute...how can they say "There will never be another Limited Edition Robot Guitar..." and end the paragraph with "Available in limited edition Purple Metallic finish." ???? Do they not read their print? Obviously, they're referring to the paint, but it's confusing at first.

Maybe Gibson needs to sit down with their marketing department and review what they publish.

The way I read this now is, yes, the purple is a limited run, but Robot Studios are here indefinitely. You said to "act fast." Honestly, are you going to buy a guitar because it's purple? I sure as hell am not. If I even see somebody playing this in the store, I'm going to laugh at them! O:)

Robot.jpg

Cat Daddy' date='

OK, this is off the website. Maybe I misread it. I was referring to the "And while there will never be another Limited Edition Robot Guitar..."

But if you read the last sentence, it says "Available in limited edition Purple Metallic finish."

Wait a minute...how can they say "There will never be another Limited Edition Robot Guitar..." and end the paragraph with "Available in limited edition Purple Metallic finish." ???? Do they not read their print? Obviously, they're referring to the paint, but it's confusing at first.

Maybe Gibson needs to sit down with their marketing department and review what they publish.

The way I read this now is, yes, the purple is a limited run, but Robot Studios are here indefinitely. You said to "act fast." Honestly, are you going to buy a guitar because it's purple? I sure as hell am not. If I even see somebody playing this in the store, I'm going to laugh at them! O:)

[img']http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg225/Gibson_Tim/Robot.jpg[/img]

Tim,

I agree with you...Gibson certainly could have done a better job here. I think what they meant to say was that there will never be another Blue Silverburst Limited Edition Les Paul Robot Guitar (the original Robot that was launched December 7th, 2007).

I also agree with you about the color, although this a personal preference thing. Blue is my favorite color...always has been. So, I much prefer the color of the original Robot to the purple metallic that's available now. I don't think I would laugh at anyone playing a purple Robot (it IS a Les Paul, after all! <g>), I just like blue better.

While we're on this subject, I have to add that I'm a little dismayed by Gibson's handling of their limited edition Robot introductions. In the past, Gibson would come out with a limited edition guitar (for example, the Gibson Guitar of the Week Reverse Flying V...a limited run of 400 units) and if the guitar sold very well, they would subsequently come out with a larger limited run of the same guitar (in the case of the Reverse Flying V, it was a limited run of 900 guitars...300 units in three different finishes)...giving many folks a second chance at a guitar they missed out on the first time around.

The first run of the original Robot was 4,000 guitars worldwide. I'm sure that many people bought them, thinking they would be a good investment. Now, Gibson introduces another limited run of the Robot, this time only producing 1,000 units (actually 1,000 units of the Les Paul Studio Robot and 1,000 units of the Les Paul Special SG).

Theoretically, the lower production run of the second limited edition would make them more valuable than the original

Robots. Somehow, that just doesn't seem right. I think that many owners of the original Robots are feeling more than a little upset with Gibson right now about this.

I think we'll be seeing a lot more limited edition Robots, at least one for every electric guitar model that Gibson makes. So far, Gibson has used the relatively inexpensive Les Paul Studio (and the SG Special) as a platform for their Robot guitars...no doubt to keep the street prices down. I think I'll hold out for a Les Paul Standard Robot or a Les Paul three-pickup Custom Robot, hopefully with better hardware than has been seen so far on the Robot series.

If anyone at Gibson is listening, I'd like to see Robots with better pickups than the 490R/498T combo...like Classic '57's, BurstBuckers, or Tony Iommi's. Also, I'd like gold hardware and full body and neck/headstock binding.

If you're going to dream, dream BIG! <g>

Cat Daddy

Archived