Gibson Brands Forums

Small Cars vs. Full Size

KSG_Standard

You left out minivan.

I drive a 4 cylinder minivan - Dodge Caravan, it's my third minivan (one Voyager and two Caravans). It's the perfect vehicle for getting my PA and instruments to the gig and back - and I play one-nighters for a living so it gets to carry the gear often.

I chose the 4 cylinder model because it uses less gas, and that is not only good for the environment (better gas mileage = less pollution) but by saving me money on fuel, it acts like a raise in gig pay.

Notes

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Bob...

I think your circumstances make your minivan a perfect solution.

Up here there would be a number of months you couldn't use it, though, at least not very safely.

It seems most of the guys gigging for a living have full size vans or 4wd pickups/SUVs. I think the average mid to full size SUV likely would handle your rig here. You'd really want some ground clearance, especially since the gaming joints in Deadwood are among the better music venues and they're roughly a mile high and get lots and lots of snow.

But then... when I drive to work in the morning you've got to figure I'm also looking literally from the high plains into the Black Hills and ski slopes... <grin> Not many cruise lines. <chuckle>

m

Hey Bob...

I think your circumstances make your minivan a perfect solution.

Up here there would be a number of months you couldn't use it' date=' though, at least not very safely.<...>[/quote']

As far as I'm concerned, ice belongs in the freezer section of my refrigerator, and NOT on the roads -- that is one reason I live in Florida.

As a musician, I've been in 49 of these United States, parts of Canada and a few foreign countries from here to the People's Republic of China (where we performed by invitation on a cruise ship on the Yangtze river before the dam would drastically change the scenery)

I learned to drive in the snow in the upper peninsula of Michigan, and it was fun, it was a beautiful part of the USA, but I wouldn't want to live there.

I prefer it hot and a bit humid, which makes Florida the best place for me.

If I lived where there is snow, I'd probably want 4WD.

Notes

I hear whacher sayin'.

The heat and humidity is what got me back up here from Memphis, though.

The world has wonderful people anywhere you go, if that's what you're looking for - but I don't do the heat and humidity very well. Besides, when it hits -20 or so, it kills a lotta the bugs. <grin> OTOH, hauling amps and such ain't all that much fun with snowdrifts, either.

So... I guess one pays the money and takes their choice... Your four-banger minivan, though, sounds like part of what makes you a pro... it's a business, after all.

Dude' date=' you really need a hobby. Maybe you don't have enough of a life to wade through - hell, I don't even want to count how many websites you sent me - but I do. Do something constructive. Strum your guitar; walk your dog; take your recycling to the bins; that is, if you don't see recycling bins as unnecessary government interference. Enjoy your...whatever it is you enjoy.[/quote']

Your skill at making an argument is incredible.:- Your power of your mind is an incredible thing to behold.=P~

I hear whacher sayin'.

The heat and humidity is what got me back up here from Memphis' date=' though.

The world has wonderful people anywhere you go, if that's what you're looking for - but I don't do the heat and humidity very well. Besides, when it hits -20 or so, it kills a lotta the bugs. <grin> OTOH, hauling amps and such ain't all that much fun with snowdrifts, either.

So... I guess one pays the money and takes their choice... Your four-banger minivan, though, sounds like part of what makes you a pro... it's a business, after all.

[/quote']

In the spirit of the ongoing arguments, I'm going to have to pick one with you, Milod.

I've found that colder temperatures are like antibiotics. The bugs that don't die are only made stronger, and continue to breed cold-resistant bugs. Two dogs from my team disappeared one summer up in Int'l Falls. They were carried away by mosquitos that sounded like C-130's taking off.

And as far as hauling amps in snow drifts - true story here - I once loaded up all my amps and a hammond organ to get enough traction to make it to school through the drifts. It might not be my best idea ever, but at least I finally found a use for the hammond.

tuckomf....

Hey, I know what you mean about those north central skeeters.

I was shooting field exercises with an artillery unit in Minnesota once and one of the darned things made off with the "chief of smoke" sergeant and he never was found. <grin>

Seriously, on that gig I slept in a tent, in a poncho-wrapped sleeping bag with my socks on and still had skeeter bites on the bottoms of my feet. It was under 50 degrees at night.

But... there just aren't the roaches one found in Memphis. Heck, I could feature a couple in the custom shop grabbing guitars and jamming, they're so big.

Hmmmmm. I hear you too about the Hammond. It's easier with the Jeep without the need for extra weight. I dumped my guitar Leslie years ago because even it was far too heavy to haul in winter.

I'll never forget the rock band drives, setups and teardowns at -20 or below. Teardowns always were worse because you were a bit wet from a big dance venue gig and then the freeze hit as you hauled equipment outside.

Still, that's better than the outdoor venue where mosquitoes try to carry you away.

Archived