Gibson Brands Forums

The Buying and Selling Madness...

thejay

For as long as I have played guitar I have basically bought and sold them, always looking... well I find myself AGAIN either GASin or moving on from old to new. I have always loved goldtop LPs and when the Traditional came out I was all about it, lacking funds I still do not have one. Which brings me to possibly selling off a couple of my guitars to get one... chopping block would be my Limited Edition Explorer and my newly purchased LP VM w/ P-94s. Both are great guitars but do not get the playing time they deserve. Impatient and GASin' or moving on???

I don't know what to tell ya. I've always been the type to have just a few guitars and keep them for a very long time. From where I sit, I don't think I'd let go of the LE Explorer though. Just my .02.

When I started playing I bought and sold a few guitars, now it would be hard for me to sell any of mine. I did make it a point of haveing guitars that are very different from each other and that helps.

I have been playing for 4 years only but the necks on my guitars are nicely broken in at least for my own taste, I don't want to give that up.

When I get gas I go to the Gibson Showcase here in town and look at their prices, that usually cures it all.

When I get gas I go to the Gibson Showcase here in town and look at their prices' date=' that usually cures it all. [/quote']

I like that idea! I'm a little far away though...

I love my Explorer a real pleasure to play, leaning away from due to the pickups and the LP VM sounds great! I just play it a lot less than my others, hence why it would go. Years ago I had like 9-10 electrics (various Epiphone models) finally decided to let go the entire herd and I picked up my LE Explorer and my SG Standard and I stuck with those two for a few years then I started buying more... not sure if I'm trying to thin the herd a bit or just plain GASin.... its always hard as you all know!

the problem with trading your guitars is that you'll never get anywhere near what they are worth...

i mean you do have two VM's so that makes more sense to get rid of one of them but what can you get rid of it for?

maybe 700 on ebay or craigslist...and possibly 5-600 at a guitar store...if you bought new thats like selling for 50% of value...

anything worth any money is a shame as well because youre gonna take a hit on something that you will never again get for the price...

if you want a traditional...and lets say have 1,000 bucks...why liquidate a guitar to make up a few hundred...just wait a couple of months...

another option would be to buy from a place like zzounds.com where they have this thing on anything over 395 bucks...they split the payment over your credit card for four months...no signing up to their card of financing it through their lender...if its 1800 for the guitar lets say...they bill you out at 450/month for four months...thats a lot more palatable then plunking it all down at once and even worse...getting rid of guitars that you obviously love just in order to get it now!

when you do that payment thing...they send out your guitar right away and then just debit the amount each month until its paid off...it makes sense in terms of curing your gas...and keeping your collection!

good luck brotha!

I hear you on selling your stuff and taking a hit, it happens unfortunately. I'd be ok with parting with those guitars for something "bigger, better" sort of speak. It's just doing it... I don't want to make a mistake. Out of everything I have ever sold I only miss one... which is a pretty good percentage considering. I mean turning the LP VM took money to replace the pickups, well worth it, will I get it all back, probably not... hopefully get most of it back. A Traditional would be a great addition. Furthermore, not really sure I want to be collecting a bunch of guitars again. I'd rather play them all then have them just sit in their cases, someone could be playing them!

Archived