Gibson Brands Forums

Hello from new member! also, J-160e Saddle ?

GATSBY

Hello too everyone, This is a great and informative site. Currently I am luckily awaiting a J-160e 1962 reissue from Fullers vintage. reading up here, I am now on a quest to find a ceramic saddle for the adjustable bridge. I found some one selling one,

But Im not sure if it's the right one. he says its out of an old J-45. here's the question, are all those vintage saddles the same size? Thanks

Authenticity! back in the day they used ceramic, giving the Beatles records those anvily overtones. the reissue's are being shipped with corian saddles which deaden the sound somewhat. I know, Im a Nut.

Just wanted to throw out a big welcome to the group. Sorry, I know nothing about the answer to your question, but I bet once forum member and moderator KSDaddy see's this, he may have an answer or at least point you in a good direction. Do you have any photos you could post of your J-160?

As I understand it from some knowlegeable folks on the beatgearcavern (look for tedkuls's extensive analysis of the adjustable bridge mechanism), the vintage ceramic saddles are a direct replacement for the Tusq (not corrian) saddle on your new, vintage spec J160E. The NUT may be corrian (as it is on my McCartney Texans with the adjustable bridge, and my Peace J160E), but the modern-day repro saddles are Tusq on all models that use them, as far as I know.

As mentioned, I have a Peace model (and a J160E Standard), and think you will be very happy with your Fuller's reissue. If it's like my Peace (and I see no reason why it wouldn't be, except for the sunburst finish), then you will be VERY happy with the Beatle tone. You'll get plenty of that anvil sound, as much of it is a result of how much the ladder braced, laminated top antenuates the natural volume and bass tone of the guitar, revealing the famous Gibson thunk.

Gibson L5 strings workl fabulously with the ladder braced, vintage-spec J160Es.

Red 333

Thanks for all the responses. Hey Red333 have you tried the Pyramid flat wound strings ?

I have not, though LOTS of folks over at the BeatGear Cavern recommend them (the J160E is the most discussed guitar over there, and how to achieve THAT tone, as they like to say). I've liked the sound I get with the Gibson L5s, so I've stuck with them. Plus I have a few packs handy, as I have couple of jazz boxes.

Others like the Thomastik Enfield flats. They are very good strings. I haven't tried them on the J160E Peace, but have used them on my Elitist Byrdland. They sound and feel great.

By the way, if you go the BeatGear Cavern, look in the expert texpert section for the thread about adjustable bridges. If you can't find it on your own there, there's also a link to it in the thread about the differences between the Japanese-made and USA-made McCartney Texans. The author of the thread, tedkul, pulled apart some adjustable bridge mechanisms, measured, weighed, and compared vintage and new hardware and saddles, etc. It's very interesting.

Red 333

Thanks for all the responses. Hey Red333 have you tried the Pyramid flat wound strings ?

Pyramid just recently introduced a "new" flat-wound string with a round core, manufactured to the same specs as their Beatle-era flats. They're expensive -- around $25 a set street price (at, e.g., JustStrings) -- but the Beatlemaniacs on BGC who have tried them swear by them. So, if you subscribe to the theory that the Beatles used Pyramids, you might want to give them a try.

-- Bob R

Gatsby,

Congrats on your new guitar. It takes a special ear to really appreciate the "qualities" of the '62 J-160E.

We've discussed the size of the saddle topic here before:

http://forums.gibson.com/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=6927

If you don't have much experience with the Gibson adj. saddle, I recommend taking it to a luthier who does for the saddle exchange. If you're intent on trying it yourself, you've got to balance both bolts when raising and lowering...make sure the bolts are loose enough (or completely out) when you exchange the saddles. Otherwise you'll chip the ceramic one.

Good luck,

Ted

Gatsby' date='

If you don't have much experience with the Gibson adj. saddle, I recommend taking it to a luthier who does for the saddle exchange. If you're intent on trying it yourself, you've got to balance both bolts when raising and lowering...make sure the bolts are loose enough (or completely out) when you exchange the saddles. Otherwise you'll chip the ceramic one.

Good luck,

Ted[/quote']

Good to see you here!

Red 333

Archived