Gibson Brands Forums

Bridge Pins. What Else !

DonCarlos

Bridge pins. I mean really..........what would you expect me to talk about?

Just ordered a set of bone double inlays (tortoise ringed) from Bob Colosi. Thought I would pass on to anyone interested that all the double inlays are on sale. http://www.guitarsaddles.com/

There are several here that may recall my disbelief that bone pins make no difference in the sound. I had previously tried a set of Vietnamese made pins and they sucked, so I threw my Gibson plastics back on. But I ordered the Colosi pins for a better reason.............they look dang purrdee. No need to ask, yes I will report my findings on the Colosi pins whether you ask or not in my usual brief style.

This all came about because my 22 year old daughter asked me what I wanted for upcoming Father's Day and instead of my usual nonsense response "Oh nothing dear, just the thought of you asking is enough". Hey, all the dad's here know that is nonsense after kid's reach employable age. And since she's employed, I told her the truth, and she bit. Of course her older sister is smarter and gladly accepts the "Oh nothing dear" response. Smart gal, but these types of decisions by her are deducted from my written Will.

I was just on Bob's site and noticed that. I'm going to order a bone saddle and some bone double inlayed pins for my new Taylor 12.

I put a bone saddle and bone/abalone dot pins on my SWD. The bone pin upgrade is a no-brainer with a Gibson that has plastic pins. Bone nut, tusq saddle, plastic pins... go figure.

Based on my recent purchase of pins and a bridge, I believe Mr. Colosi has excellent products and services, including the instructions that come with the pins. Resist the tempation to not read them! Be prepared to sit down with your new pins and some fine sandpaper to nudge them down to fit just right with the string in there. He recommends, and I found it sure helped on my SJ200 - to use a fine point permanent marker to identify which pin goes in which hole. The holes, pins and string guages are all slightly different. The bone inlays now fit better than the old plastic ones did. Perfectly level. Take your time and once you get them close, keep checking for fit every couple of swipes with the sandpaper. I'd suggest you not drink while doing this - if you take off too much material, you can't put it back, and somehow, beer makes you feel smarter as you go. (Yep, prettier too)

Based on my recent purchase of pins and a bridge' date=' I believe Mr. Colosi has excellent products and services, including the instructions that come with the pins. Resist the tempation to not read them! Be prepared to sit down with your new pins and some fine sandpaper to nudge them down to fit just right with the string in there. He recommends, and I found it sure helped on my SJ200 - to use a fine point permanent marker to identify which pin goes in which hole. The holes, pins and string guages are all slightly different. The bone inlays now fit better than the old plastic ones did. Perfectly level. Take your time and once you get them close, keep checking for fit every couple of swipes with the sandpaper. I'd suggest you not drink while doing this - if you take off too much material, you can't put it back, and somehow, beer makes you feel smarter as you go. (Yep, prettier too)[/quote']

Honestly it took me a few hours to do mine but they fit PERFECTLY. I marked them all with a Sharpie pen so they continue to fit perfectly every time I change the strings. I tried the sandpaper but as it got closer to fitting, found it too difficult to get under the skirt/collar. Once I got the pins close to where they were fitting, I used an emery board, like a nail file, that was the perfect tool to get right under the skirt/collar and finished them off with that.

Don, I'm dying to know if you notice a difference in sound!!

I have loved the bone double inlay (size 2A) pins I got from Bob as well. I personally felt they gave my AJ a bit more shimmer which for a Taylor guy like me was appreciated. What it really did do was give the bridge a face lift and much prettier appearance. My AJ is dressed to kill now.... (unless you have seen John Lee Walkers dolled up J200! :P I'm not there yet, but I do love my AJ and her bone pins!

Thank you all, for all your responses. They are very encouraging.

I'd suggest you not drink while doing this - if you take off too much material, you can't put it back, and somehow, beer makes you feel smarter as you go.

Well if I don't see that in any of Bob's instructions, then I have no choice but to imbibe by the pool, when doing such a precise task: :-&

Once I got the pins close to where they were fitting, I used an emery board,

Hmm! Huh? Hmm! So, that's what I kept finding laying around the house. :-k All those earlier years, I had thought the girls had been making popsicles using cheap black sticks. Well no sense in telling them I was wrong at this late date. :-&

Archived