Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson case care and repair

Wayne

1) should case exteriors be preserved with something or other? Anything else that should be done to maintain a case?

2) what should I use to repair/reglue peeling vinyl and slight ungluing of the plywood? Any old glue?

I believe that shroud is for the guit tar itself so the guit tar case crushed velour doesn't scratch (?) the guit tar? Or maybe to tuck the baby in.

I think what the original poster is looking for is a case cover. These are essentially an over sized gig bag that fits OVER the case so the case doesn't get scratched up. No word as to what you putover a case cover to keep it from getting scuffed. :-k

Don't know who makes / sells them. You might get lucky and find a gig bag that would do the trick.

Seperating plywood lamentate? Try working carpenter's glue or hide glue between to seperated lamenations. Then clamp as tightly as possible.

Vinyl seperating? .. Rubber cement or possibly contact cement. I think the latter has more holding power. Read the directions. I think for the best adhesion is to coat both parts, let the glue set-up, THEN stick the two pieces together. Make sure you get the parts lined up before they touch. Contact cement "grabs" almost instantaneously, making re-alignment nigh on impossible. Work out any bubbles and apply compression for a day or so.

So what your saying is you don't want your case to end up looking like this:

2428186741_e68545044e_o.jpg

This long time road warrior would require much, much reconstructive surgery to replace missing wood that has been chipped off. The time and trouble of splicing in sections of wood might make it better just to order up a new case. While this one appears to be a "Gibson Original", I'd say it isn't worth the expense salvaging.

To 'do it up right', I'd re-make the lower bout corner, from about the waist to the button end, kind of complex joinery. Then splice it into the oringal structure, then recover. The insides may need to be pulled back or completely removed to effect this fix.

One could make a functional fix by removing the loose cover material, then adhering, with contact cement, new letherette fabric along the side and back, which would hold things together. Might even try to find a 'foot' to replace the one that is missing on the treble side back. Wouldn't look the best, but you might get another 100K miles out of it. Besides there's some kind of coolness to a case with a road worn look.

Then there's the time honored method of duct taping the corners. Plegh! ... But it works.

Seperating plywood lamentate? Try working carpenter's glue or hide glue between to seperated lamenations. Then clamp as tightly as possible.

Vinyl seperating? .. Rubber cement or possibly contact cement. I think the latter has more holding power. Read the directions. I think for the best adhesion is to coat both parts' date=' let the glue set-up, THEN stick the two pieces together. Make sure you get the parts lined up before they touch. Contact cement "grabs" almost instantaneously, making re-alignment nigh on impossible. Work out any bubbles and apply compression for a day or so. [/quote']

Thats what I'm looking for. Thanks.

Glad to 'blige.

A life time of short funds necessitated me repairing and fixing broken 'stuff' to give it new life until replacement funds became available. Even when replacement funds become available, ... it becomes a matter of principle or a self made challenge to see just how long I can make something last.

Wow! I never woulda thought of that Karen. You're pretty smart.

I have used a Steinway (piano) touch-up kit to re-blacken chipped faux binding on my Yamaha. It's a Black Sharpie.

If you tour' date=' the Gibson case may not last that long. You should invest in something a little better.[/quote']

I'm in no danger of touring. I might be in danger of busking though, if things dont pick up. [-o<

Archived