Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Traditional Pro - Impressions?

ant7629

Hey guys

Just heard the good news that the Traditional Pro is finally coming to this side pond ( been wanting one for a while ).

I know that some members have bought one or at least tried one, so I was wondering if you could post some pics and maybe your impressions of the guitar before I order one.

Thanks

I got one 2 weeks ago & its my new #1 ,I have a LP L.E & a 58 VOS,had a friend come by the other day & a-b my Les Pauls & he loved the TRad. Pro, he kept wanting to play it more ,he wasnt impressed with the 58 ,the coil splitting is very usable as well ,Gibson put a winner together on this one ,was thinkin about gettin another in Darkburst,got mine for $1600 at MF when they had a 20% off coupon

I played a couple of them at GC a couple of weeks ago. They had a great feel, I really like the satin finish and the vintage sunburst and cherry burst looked great. Both of them were not created equal though; weight and sound difference between the two I tried. I'd like to give them another whirl before I purchased anything else. I have a couple of guitars posted in the Trading Post right now b/c I do not play them much.

I know GAK are definitely on board (they are on the website, but in stock yet - 1 to 2 months apparently) and I wouldn't be surprised if the other big stores DV247, Andertons, Dawsons etc are getting them too.

Can't wait. Thought they would be US only.

I love mine I've owned it about three weeks now and I can't put it down. However, I did have sort through at least 4-5 of them before I found the one I liked. The pleking makes very little difference, but there are some that have good setups. Take your time. I got mine in Vintage Sunburst I'll post some pics tonight.

It's just a pity about the long wait. 1-2 months usually means the end of August at this time of the year. I hate stores that advertise guitars on their website without actually saying they don't have them in stock. I ordered one of the faded Les Pauls a few years back and was then told there would be a delay of four months. I got fed up waiting and bought a Strat instead, then got a call two days after my Strat purchase to say my LP had arrived and did I still want it! So I ended up with two guitars instead of one. Patience is a virtue and can save you money. Here endeth the leshon.

It's just a pity about the long wait. 1-2 months usually means the end of August at this time of the year. I hate stores that advertise guitars on their website without actually saying they don't have them in stock. I ordered one of the faded Les Pauls a few years back and was then told there would be a delay of four months. I got fed up waiting and bought a Strat instead' date=' then got a call two days after my Strat purchase to say my LP had arrived and did I still want it! So I ended up with two guitars instead of one. Patience is a virtue and can save you money. Here endeth the leshon.[/quote']

A happy ending though, two great guitars instead of one? I would have done the same.

I know what you mean about the waiting, I did that with the Traditional and new standard. I spoke to a guy at GAK and he said about a month, but recommended to expect 2. From what I have read, it sounds like it will be worth the wait. The only thing I am not convinced about is how the satin back will look. Guess I will just have to see one in the flesh to be sure.

I sampled a Traditional Pro at a Guitar Center before settling on my HB Traditional. The Pro had great feel and the satin finish made the neck feel faster in playability. However, since I happen to like things that look shiny and new the choice wasn’t hard as far as going for the regular Trad. I preferred the warmer and rounder sounding 57 pickup combo of the Trad opposed to the 57 and Burstbucker combo of the Pro; it just sounded more “traditional”. Although minor, I do wish that the Pro came with covers on the pickups

In your case, more power to you to be in a position to own both; just more tools of the trade, so to speak. I don’t see where you’ll wrong adding one to your stable.

Hmm...There just may be a Trad Pro in my future!? ;)

Enjoy and Play On !

Damn that looks great, thanks for that. I was thinking cherry sunburst, but I may be going down the vintage sunburst route now!

dmeds, I know what you mean about the "shiny and new" thing. Its what is giving me doubts about it.

When I first started shopping for the Traditional Pro, I was set on the Vintage Sunburst from the get go. I was however planning to cover the pickups. But, when I saw the guitar face to face I realized that the colors of pickups matched the body and binding perfectly. . The binding is practically identical to the creme colored coil, and the edges of the finish match the black coil. You wont find that contrast on the Cherry Sunburst.

Although it also looks very slick in the Ebony finish as well. Either way you can always cover the pickups if you don't like the open coils.

Archived