Gibson Brands Forums

Resale Value

Plank_Spanker

Disclaimer: This post is not meant to flame or offend anyone..........................................

It seems to me that a good deal of Les Paul (and Gibson in general) shoppers are using potential resale value as hard criteria for buying one. Some buy one and are afraid to play it in fear of losing resale value. Some buy a guitar that really doesn't make them happy because of the potential resale value.

Whatever happened to just buying a guitar that you just want to keep playing forever? I'm not a collector - I'm a player. I buy guitars that do what I need them to do and I could care less about resale value. I can understand a collector fretting resale. I can even understand resale value used as a tie breaker in comparisons. I just don't see it as a major point if you're going to buy a guitar to play.

maybe they are afraid they are spending a lot in a piece of equipment they wont like in a month or two... i dont know.

there's this kid that comes to my studio every week or so... he never records anything, but he allways gets out of here with his hands full of gear he buys from me (he visists my guitar tech twice a month too and buys lots of stuff)... i know he uses it a couple of weeks and then sells it at a lower price, loosing money and never acomplishing what he is aiming for: the perfect tone... i guess he will never get it if he keeps on trying to replicate another artists tone.

I guess it has a lot to do with AXEs recent post, as the kid has had 6 signature guitars in the last 2 years.

I have always felt that Gibson Guitars in general are like real estate with strings.

But that speaks to the quality of the products, I agree it should not be the reason for the purchase.

I am always sadened when I hear of another wonderful old guitar sold at auction, driving up the prices of vinatge pieces, just to end up in a non-players collection.

My Lesters will never see the used market, but it's nice knowing that if I ever do have to sell one (for whatever reason) that I won't get next to nothing for it, right? Can't blame Gibson for using this as a selling point, you would do the same.

In general, I don't see guitars as investments. Bottom line is, whether you have 1 or 50, they should all be played and enjoyed. And if they're not, sell them to somebody who will. I'm going through this right now with my ES. I don't play it, so why keep it?

maybe they are afraid they are spending a lot in a piece of equipment they wont like in a month or two... i dont know.

there's this kid that comes to my studio every week or so... he never records anything' date=' but he allways gets out of here with his hands full of gear he buys from me (he visists my guitar tech twice a month too and buys lots of stuff)... i know he uses it a couple of weeks and then sells it at a lower price, loosing money and never acomplishing what he is aiming for: the perfect tone... i guess he will never get it if he keeps on trying to replicate another artists tone.

I guess it has a lot to do with AXEs recent post, as the kid has had 6 signature guitars in the last 2 years.[/quote']

DANG!!!!!!6 in two years!!!when i get the money to buy a les paul,that thing is gonna be buried with me.

Lets face it, I go out to a lot of local gig's , I see bands playing young & old, that are basically playing junk guitars, and some of them sound awesome. So I would like to have some value with a Guitar that I pay 5 times the price of say as an Epi or an Ibanez or of LP copies out there....

Unfortunately a lot of people are driven by either greed, or ignorance of what is really making the old 1950's LPs worth so much money. They are not thinking about the fact that they are now buying a guitar that is made in the thousands, and tens of thousands each year. They do not realize that even in 50 years, allowing for those that are broken and lost that there will still be hundreds of thousands of LPs from the 1970's and 80's out there. I have said it before, but I sat down one day and totalled production numbers on LP Customs from 69 to 80 (I think) and I believe it was over 100,000 Customs alone at that point.

Archived