Gibson Brands Forums

I have seen a left handed Silver Humming bird, how are they different from a normal hummingbird ?

Chris Davies

Could some one please help me ? I have seen a left handed limited editionSilver Humming bird and I would like to buy it. However, I do not know any thing about this version of the Humming bird and before I travel to view and play it would be helpful to have a little knowledge about it ! Thanks

They are left-handed.

(Sorry, couldn't resist)

Seriously now -- A silver Hummingbird made its way to the Gibson Homecoming, in the hands of one of Mike's (guitarstrummer) daughters. I found it to be one of the nicest-sounding of the "new" guitars there. Nice volume, plenty of depth and well-balanced, all in all a very nice Hummingbird.

Fred

Thanks for the remarks, about the sound and the feel of the guitar. I have only been learning to play the guitar for about a year. The guitar I have at the moment is a Yahama FG412. Do you know hat woods used ? , and are the build techniques different in any way? I have never played a Gibson and I have been told by a couple of shops that recent quality controls on Gibsons leave a lot to be desired. By the way we spell "humor" humour this side of the pond. Sorry, could not resist that !

Thanks for the remarks' date=' about the sound and the feel of the guitar. I have only been learning to play the guitar for about a year. The guitar I have at the moment is a Yahama FG412. Do you know hat woods used ? , and are the build techniques different in any way? I have never played a Gibson and I have been told by a couple of shops that recent quality controls on Gibsons leave a lot to be desired.[/quote']

The Hummingbird imNSho is the most pefectest guit tar what ever a guit tar picker ever picked.

The 'Bird has mahogany back and sides. As such it has a warm and woody tone that I GAS for. It's inner structure, whatever that is, imparts a balanced tone that while not as loud as an Advanced Jumbo guit tar, is evenly beautiful up and down the fret board. If your tastes skew towards the bright and tinny, then the Dove is your bird. The Dove has maple back and sides, but is constructed similarly.

And... Welcome Chris! Don't mind the locals Chris. We are a friendly group, tempered by age and tolerant of newcomers. Smart alec commets are the norm as most of us are tetched in the haid. [-o<

By the way we spell "humor" humour this side of the pond. Sorry' date=' could not resist that ![/quote]

Looks like you'll fit right in. :D/

Thanks, for the help. I know what you mean about age ! I'am in my late 50's. Being left handed makes it difficult to find the right guitar. It took me the best part of 6 months to track down the Electric guitar Iwanted; A Japanese fender telecaster deluxe ( could not find a left handed American one)) It sounds like the Hummingbird will be the Acoustic guitar for me, ( the store also has a left handed Songwriter deluxe in). I be on the road up to Glasgow on Saturday. I post a letter later to let you all know how I got on. Once again thanks. Chris

Thanks, for the help. I know what you mean about age ! I'am in my late 50's. Being left handed makes it difficult to find the right guitar. It took me the best part of 6 months to track down the Electric guitar Iwanted; A Japanese fender telecaster deluxe ( could not find a left handed American one)) It sounds like the Hummingbird will be the Acoustic guitar for me, ( the store also has a left handed Songwriter deluxe in). I be on the road up to Glasgow on Saturday. I post a letter later to let you all know how I got on. Once again thanks. Chris

Thanks for the remarks' date=' about the sound and the feel of the guitar. I have only been learning to play the guitar for about a year. The guitar I have at the moment is a Yahama FG412. Do you know hat woods used ? , and are the build techniques different in any way? I have never played a Gibson and I have been told by a couple of shops that recent quality controls on Gibsons leave a lot to be desired. By the way we spell "humor" humour this side of the pond. Sorry, could not resist that ![/quote']

Hi Chris and welcome to the group... You asked about the differences between the Yamaha and the Dove... the biggest difference will be that the Yamaha is an all laminate guitar while the Dove is solid wood. If your model number was FG-412S the "S" would mean solid wood top, but the back and sides are still laminate (plywood type materials with a thin veneer of real wood on the front and back.) With the Gibson, you will want to take things like humidification (perfect is between 40-60% humidity) for an all solid wood guitar. The Yamaha can be left out in dry or moist weather with minimal problems but a solid wood guitar will take more care. That said, a solid wood guitar will most likely sound much better with more overtones, sustain, depth, volume and tone.

Don't go getting rid of the Yamaha though as everyone needs a decent campfire or deck type guitar that you can just thow in the the car and take with you when conditions might not be good for your Gibson. I have a great 1979 Yamaha FG-331 folk size guitar that I aquired recently just for that reason. I love playing my 3 "good" acoustics, but my Yamaha gives me much satisfaction and enjoyment and will be the only one I can leave on a stand in my music room all winter long. My good guitars stay in the case with humidifiers unless I am playing them. When I just have a few moments prior to taking one of the kids somewhere or waiting on my lovely wife to become even more lovely (sometimes that seems to take longer than it should...:D ) I can just grab my Yammie Lammie off the stand and play a few tunes. I actually just completed my first "Soundport" on a guitar and choose the Yamaha for the simple reason that no matter how great the improvement in sound to the player, I will not be cutting holes in my solid guitars! It did make the Yamaha much louder for the player and there is no difference in tone or volume to the listener.

Here are a couple photos of my recent luthier project on my Yamaha guitar.... (if the photos are small on your screen, just hit the refesh button on your bowser and they should get big.)

YamahaSoundPort1.jpg

YamahaSoundPort3.jpg

Thanks for the photos you have a real collection of fine-ware! I am going to keep the Yamaha as I love its tone, sustain and depth of feeling it projects. Thanks for the advice about the Songwriter Deluxe. I will try it out ( and my wife would prefer me to buy it rather than the silver burst Hummingbird because of the way it looks! but I think its because of the cost). Every guitar seems to cost more here than in the U.S.

Chris' date=' Be sure and play that Songwriter Deluxe also. I bought one about three weeks ago an everyone that has heard it or played it is in love with its sound and its action.[/quote']

+1

I A/Bd my SWD with a Hummingbird and went for the SWD. Close call. I loved them both.

Chris, another nice thing about the Hummingbird is that it has a bit shorter scale length (24 3/4") as opposed to the generally more common 25 1/2 inch scale (Dove, J-200, most if not all Martin dreadnoughts). If you have any experience with electric guitars, Gibsons like the Les Paul series have the 24 3/4" scale while most Fenders (Teles, Strats) have a 25 1/2 scale. Most people think that, with all things being equal in terms of set up, the 24 3/4" scale makes for a bit easier playing guitar. I personally like the feel of that scale length in an acoustic and find it very comfortable. I don't think you can go wrong with a Hummingbird. I'm not a fan of the silver burst look, but that's just a personal opinion. There are plenty of players that like that look. It is quite striking and sure to draw attention. I laughed out loud at the first two comments, as that was exactly what I thought when I read your question. After spending some time on this forum, I could see it coming! You'll find lots of nice folks with plenty of wisdom to share on this forum. And lots of folks with a good sense of humor...or humour...

Welcome to the forum, and let us know what you think after you play the Hummingbird.

Dwight

Thanks for the advice on the shorter scale length of the Hummingbird, and as I've never played, or rather tried to play a Gibson ! Knowing that could be very helpful on Saturday. I have to say I am not so keen on the look of the silver burst, but is very hard to find second hand or even new left handed Gibson Hummingbirds, and I am looking for that sound that is in my head, to jump out of a guitar and say " I'am here come and buy me" so it may have to be silver ! Buy the way I thing those sun rises and sun sets you have down your way fill your soul with wonder, ( I pass through 30 years ago this month while on a voyage of discovering the U.S. over several months by Greyhound) Chris

I also would suspect that the silverburst will look better in person than in the photos, so, you never know. These are also, if I'm recalling correctly, Custom Shop guitars and probably somewhat limited, so you'd have the exclusivity factor if that's of any importance to you. Also, the quality control in the Gibson Montana factory is quite good. Gibson has a couple (?) electric guitar factories (Memphis and Nashville I think) and the Montana factory which is exclusively acoustic. As far as I know quality control is not an issue in the Montana division. I think that the general consensus is that Gibson is making some of their finest acoustic guitars ever, at present. I've had the opportunity to play a number of Gibson Custom Shop guitars, and have owned three. I don't think any of those guitars were less than excellent. You have to judge each guitar on it's individual merits. I'd definitely make the trip to play this guitar if I were you. Who knows, it might be "the one."

Dwight

Thanks for info.The possible fact that it may be exclusive does not matter to me, but the build quality does. So I would guess that if it is custom shop model it should be well built. I am looking forward to Saturday and having the chance to play and hopefully buy either the Hummingbird or the Songwriter, I feel almost like child being let lose in a toy shop ! The M6 Motorway we take up to Glasgow passes through the Lake District and the Lowlands of Scotland, so depending on our the weather it could be a good trip. Chris

Thanks all for the Help! every one. We had a good trip up to Glasgow and visited a well stocked shop (Guitar Guitar), I played three guitars in all a Taylor 710 CE good sound and fair looks but a little like my Yamaha FG412L, just a little too bright and lacking a mellow depth, but a heck of a lot more money £1900! The Songwriter great looks but the one in the shop was not for me. Finger picking sounded okay but when strummed nothing at all came back. The Hummingbird was second hand and a limited edition version (one of a 100 ) . The guitar sounded good but it did need a full set up (very high action and poor intonation), but the colour, well I am afraid I could not have lived with it when seen in the flesh. Also the story I was given explaining why it had been traded in seemed a little odd, ( traded in when it was one year old). The sales man later compounded it by saying he may be able to get a normal coloured left handed Hummingbird in, but they " flew off the shelve ". So why I asked my self had the Silver burst not done the same. May be the colour or something I could not put my finger ( no pun intended) It did not match up. At least I now know what I'am looking for, but the search goes on.

Thanks for the follow up Chris. I was curious how it all worked out. Too bad about the Hummingbird. A set-up would have been easy to do, and probably could have been negotiated as part of the sale, but, if you absolutely hated the look, it would have bothered you. Maybe that's why the previous owner let it go so quickly. So the search continues. Keep us updated!

Dwight

Archived