Gibson Brands Forums

Where have all the used Gibsons gone???

bluezguy

Why can't I find a used SG Standard in Natural Burst anywhere? Does nobody buy that guitar? That's the one I want but nobody, not GC not the little guy have ever had one.

Can't do Cherry, won't do black. There's been no problem getting all my other Gibsons... just this one.

What's up with that?

Why can't I find a used SG Standard in Natural Burst anywhere? Does nobody buy that guitar? That's the one I want but nobody' date=' not GC not the little guy have ever had one.

Can't do Cherry, won't do black. There's been no problem getting all my other Gibsons... just this one.

What's up with that?[/quote']

Maybe people like them so much that they keep 'em! Try to find a used Beale Street Blue ES-335, and you'll have the same problem, and it is for just that reason: once someone owns one, he or she doesn't sell it.

Ignatius

Here's another one to frost yer .... The last I knew, Gibsons were an American product made here in the good ol' USA.

Well, my search for a Natural Burst SG Standard has taken me to Canada.

The biggest music store in Canada is called Long & McQuade - that's kinda their version of Guitar Center.

They have 17 of these guitars in one location (Toronto) and they sell for $1325.00 with case.

Why do we sell our own product here in the USA, to our own people, for $1575.00?????? ](*,)

I'm headed to Detroit in a couple weeks and guess I'll have to go do some cross border shopping. The Canucks got some terrible sales taxes up there BUT we get them back at the border as long as we're US citizens.

Thanks for your info folks!

They have 17 of these guitars in one location (Toronto) and they sell for $1325.00 with case.

Why do we sell our own product here in the USA' date=' to our own people, for $1575.00??????

[/quote']

Maybe because you're in a recession? Guitars have come down a lot here recently...and it's because of your dollar. If I'm not mistaken, the cost on a SG Standard was $1,700 CAN three years ago. When I bought my Standard last fall, it was $1,375, and as you can see now, they've dropped another $50.

From what I've been hearing, prices on new higher-end Gibsons will basically be crashing in the near future, here in Canada anyways. They cost a lot of money, people aren't really buying them and the US-economy is in turmoil right now.

The Toronto location you're referring to is probably not L & M, I'm guessing they quoted you how many their distributer (Yorkville) has. I can't see a single L & M having 14 of the same guitar.

If I'm not mistaken, the cost on a SG Standard was $1,700 CAN three years ago. When I bought my Standard last fall, it was $1,375, and as you can see now, they've dropped another $50.

That's about right for the price drop, the US dollar has lost about 30% to the CAN $$. The March 05 exchange rate was around $1.35 - $1.40 CAN to US it's $1.02 right now.

The Toronto location you're referring to is probably not L & M' date=' I'm guessing they quoted you how many their distributer (Yorkville) has. I can't see a single L & M having 14 of the same guitar.[/quote']

Correct. Yorkville is the place. Back in the early to mid 70's, my band from Detroit got to play at the El Mocombo. That's when I discovered L&M and actually purchased a new Traynor Bassmaster head for guitar. At the time a gentleman by the name of Peter Traynor was there visiting or whatever and explained this amp to me.

I was using a Fender Bassman head at the time and was blown away by my new Canadian amp... later, I understand this company evolved into Yorkville sound.

Anyways, great memories.... nice typin' wit ya, eh????

Archived