Gibson Brands Forums

Garage Sale Les Paul.... what would you think?

kingtf

Guys... Interesting story, I ran across an "alledged" 1989 Les Paul in a garage sale ad the other day, so I had to go check it out. Here's the story, fact or fiction?

First off the guitar had no markings on it, no logos, no serial number, no headstock inlays, nothing. It was semi-painted underneath lots of lacquer with some goofy pattern, apparently this guys idea when he was younger. He was a player for sure, knew what he was talking about. There was no hardware whatsoever, just the body and neck... period. Not even a switch cover.... stripped clean.

The story is that is was a factory reject from the old Elgin facilty, never made it to finishing, no S/N, no logo. He said the reason it was originally rejected was due to an issue with the binding which he had repaired. Anyway, it sure looked like a LP if you look past the goofy paint job. Felt like a LP, the neck felt like a 60's style. It had very little fret wear, he said he used it to play slide on. The inlays in the neck were rectangular. Other than that no distinguishing marks that I could tell that would tell me whether it was really a Gibson or not.

Unfortunately, I do not have any photos of it. I could pick it up for $75 (for a rebulid project), what do you think? Are there any other ways to verify its authenticity?

offer 50 bucks

if that doesnt work go and browse around and come back and offer 60

my uncle could get them to pay you to take it....

he's brilliant at that.... he used to be an auctioneer

just the body and neck... period. Not even a switch cover.... stripped clean.

Well...if you like it and it sounds good' date=' what do you got to lose besides $75? [/quote']

Hahahahaha brilliant.

Dem00d dude pay attention ;-)

kingtf, hohestly mate do NOT pay 1 dollar, if you can identify ANYTHING then post it here. If not? Firewood mate. Trust me. I have at least 7 guitars here that mainly the kids hurt their hands on when they even bother to try to show off to their friends. I will eventually burn them.

Well, my original idea going in was to pick it up and do a restore/rebuild and turn it around and sell it, make a few bucks. Then in the heat of the moment when I saw it had no markings that idea faded pretty fast. So now, if i was to pick it up it would likely just be a player guitar for myself.

Unless there was a way to authenticate it. The guy did say at one point he had the receipt from Gibson for the purchase, that would have been cool. I could have lived with that as proof.

Well' date=' my original idea going in was to pick it up and do a restore/rebuild and turn it around and sell it, make a few bucks. Then in the heat of the moment when I saw it had no markings that idea faded pretty fast. So now, if i was to pick it up it would likely just be a player guitar for myself.

Unless there was a way to authenticate it. The guy did say at one point he had the receipt from Gibson for the purchase, that would have been cool. I could have lived with that as proof.[/quote']

THAT IS DIFFERENT bro, if you have ANY proof of origin then go with it, it still may be crappy but from a decent build you may be able to deal with that and make it your own mate.

Seventy five sounds about right:

$25.00 garage sale rate for a Les Paul look-alike.

$50.00 for the story.

Did Gibson EVER make any guit tars in Elgin? He might be bankin on the fact that Elgin is closed and therefore records hard to verify, except I don't think Elgin ever made guit tars.

The only way to 'verify' is by the impressed serial number stamp on the back of the HS. Other than that, it's just a $25.00 wall hanger, or fodder for a home-built LesPaul copy.

Funny you say that. I live about 45 minutes down stream from Elgin. I have friend that used to work at the Elgin facility. The only thing that I thought they did was sell accessories. But, they may have had an outlet there at one time or another for just such items, IDK for sure.

It's not like the guy was trying to misrepresent anything. He agreed the lack of info was an issue. Just trying to sell off junk stuff. He had all sorts of old tubes, chassis, etc.

kingtf' date=' hohestly mate do NOT pay 1 dollar, if you can identify ANYTHING then post it here. If not? Firewood mate. Trust me. I have at least 7 guitars here that mainly the kids hurt their hands on when they even bother to try to show off to their friends. I will eventually burn them.

[/quote']

=D>

I agree.

Archived