Gibson Brands Forums

What pickups should I buy?

julikcesar

Hi everybody!

I'm new to this site and want to ask you some questions.

By the way sorry for my english, if there will be any errors :-s

Two month ago i bought my Les Paul Menace, but i want to change pickups.

I play different music - from blues to metal, so i want pickups with wich i can play on clean and dirty settings.

I need fat sound.

I am thinking about Seymour Duncan APH-1 or JB TB-4.

Or maybe there is different models that suit for me??

P.S. Now i have Smoky Coil humbuckers in my LP, tell me about specs if you know something.

Lindy Fralin once said' date=' "keep your pickups clean, and let your pedals and amp do the dirty work"[/quote']

I'm quoting your quote - because it's good advice! There are a lot of ways to get gain besides high gain pickups.

That said, if you have no need of a "clean" sound there is nothing wrong with high gain pups. They do the squealies like nobody's business! 8-[

Bottom line - it all depends on the sounds you need to get out of your guitar. I put the word "clean" in quotes because I find the meaning of that word varies greatly from player to player. I have a buddy whose "clean" sound is Van Halen I and II! My "clean" sound reference tone is "The Wind Cries Mary". Neither of those are as clean as some players "clean" sound so....

It kind of depends on your versatility needs, in my opinion. If you're a one-trick pony (not meant to be condescending), playing almost exclusively in one genre, then you can really specialize your instrument and hardware. If you're looking for more versatility, then I'd agree with those who said to let your pedals and amp do the work.

Hi everybody!

I'm new to this site and want to ask you some questions.

By the way sorry for my english' date=' if there will be any errors :-

Two month ago i bought my Les Paul Menace, but i want to change pickups.

I play different music - from blues to metal, so i want pickups with wich i can play on clean and dirty settings.

I need fat sound.

I am thinking about Seymour Duncan APH-1 or JB TB-4.

Or maybe there is different models that suit for me??

P.S. Now i have Smoky Coil humbuckers in my LP, tell me about specs if you know something.[/quote']

Fat sound is Dimarzio Super Distortion

Archived