Gibson Brands Forums

Anybody Knows?

Andre S

If I was converting epiphone pots to regular usa pots, what dimensions do I need to widen the pot holes to?

And similarly for pickups?

Would Gibson pickups fit an epi ring? and if not, I would need to make new holes for the gibson pickup ring?

Pots will need a little more room if you buy good (Gibson) ones.

There are some good aftermarket pots out there as well, but I couldn't tell you the names.

You'll just have to get the old ones out and see where the new ones fit before trimming.

Rings should work, I've never had a fitment problem putting in Gibson humbuckers.

The humbucker size is sort of a constant among most manufacturers.

Why pay for the Gibson brand on a CTS pot? just buy CTS from RS Guitarworks, they sell the good quality kind.

If you are adding CTS pots to an Epi you may need to widen the holes on the guitar, the knobs may also have a different number of indentions in the shaft.

People that do not want to hassle with the 2 items above use Alpha pots, which are imports, I have a couple of their pots and they feel solid.

Both brands CTS and Alpha have variable quality.

For instance CTS can have brass, aluminum or nylon shafts, brass is better, more solid although ultimately nylon is more resistance to breakage.

And a Gibson pickgaurd wont fit on an Epi no matter how much you want to change your tone. Unless you are really after that USA pickgaurd sound like me and filethe pickgaurd down with your leathermen so it fits on your epi :-k

It all depends upon what case you have, after all.

What STIFFHAND said. Go to R+S guitarworks website. Complete information on sizing is there. At the same time why don't you order a complete wiring upgrade with Sprague Bumble Bee caps?? I am changing the entire lot. I am hvaing a friend send new PUPs but new PUPs without any wiring upgrade just did not seem to negate any gains from the PUPs.

Brian

Archived