Gibson Brands Forums

humbucker pickup covers?

S t e v e

i just bought a les paul (gary moore signature) 2000 model, i'd like to cover the pickups as they are "bare" on the guitar...how do these covers fit on? do they just sit over the pickups or do they need to be screwed on? because i've found a site where to buy these from and it looks like you just place them over the bare pickups...? img]<a href=http://www.freeupload.com.au//uploads/3/001.JPG' alt='001.JPG'>

i just bought a les paul (gary moore signature) 2000 model' date=' i'd like to cover the pickups as they are "bare" on the guitar...how do these covers fit on? do they just sit over the pickups or do they need to be screwed on? because i've found a site where to buy these from and it looks like you just place them over the bare pickups...? [/quote']

Usually there is generally a bead of solder on each side of the pickup cover, attaching it to the base plate of the pickup. However, many players have installed them by simply pressing them on. If the fit is snug enough, you will not need necessarily need the solder. I have done it both ways.

Another note - measure the pole spacing very carefully when ordering pickup covers - and each of your pickups may have a different spacing. Do you know what model pickups you have?

All Gibson pickups are already waxed, there is a further step that you can take to put wax between the cover and the pickup but you do not have to.

When installing covers on a Gibson:

1-For proper fit buy Gibson covers, find out if you have a chrome or nickel bridge and buy the matching covers.

2-There are 2 sizes, bridge and neck.

3-measure the distance between the screws on the pickups, if they are the same you need to order 2 neck covers, if the screws have different spacing from one pickup to the other then order 1 bridge and 1 neck.

4-you can just snap them on but soldering is recommended.

Whats up with waxing the pickups? Is it a must?

Wax potting is not a must. It is however recomended. Wax potting prevents microphonic feedback, which some players actually prefer. It also protects the windings from sweat and enviromental pollutants, stuff that eventually causes pickups to break down over time.

I also learned about this the hard way. Check your pickups carefully as was said above. It is possible that you may have two bridge pickups or two neck pickups. I had two bridge pickups and did not know it.

Get ready for some difficulty if you buy pickup covers from Gibson. They can be incredibly difficult to remove from the packaging.

1. Remember to pause frequently and count to ten.

2. Have a punching bag or similar item nearby on which you can take out your frustrations.

3. Keep young children out of the room while you do this as you will be tempted to use large amounts of profanity.

If this post makes no sense to you, just purchase some pickup covers from Gibson. Everything will be crystal clear then. For your sake, I hope Gibson has changed their packaging methods with these things.

Usually there is generally a bead of solder on each side of the pickup cover' date=' attaching it to the base plate of the pickup. However, many players have installed them by simply pressing them on. If the fit is snug enough, you will not need necessarily need the solder. I have done it both ways.

Another note - measure the pole spacing very carefully when ordering pickup covers - and each of your pickups may have a different spacing. Do you know what model pickups you have?

[/quote']

pickups are neck: reverserd zebra burst-bucker, and bridge: open coil burst-bucker...

All Gibson pickups are already waxed, there is a further step that you can take to put wax between the cover and the pickup but you do not have to.

Not true, all pups that come with the guitar are wax potted as far as Burstbuckers go...

But, to buy a set of BB's at you local music shop...theyd come with no wax.

This comes from Gibson. I e-mailed them and asked them.

I put covers on my Les Paul Classic Antique. It has a 57 Classic PU in the neck position and a 57 Classic Plus for the bridge but the pole spacing is the same on both. I used two neck position covers.

I removed the strings and retaining rings then unscrewed the spring-loaded hold-down assembly on the pickups. I placed one strip of electrical tape across the pickup in between the pole pieces, pressed on the covers and held them with a clamp while I put a bead of solder between the cover and the back side of the pickup. The two hardest parts for me was getting the solder to stick without overheating the coils and getting the spring assembly back on. But when it was finished, it looks great and sounds great with no hum or feedback.

I used an article on pickup cover installation I found at www.specialtyguitars.com as a guide.

Not true' date=' all pups that come with the guitar are wax potted as far as Burstbuckers go...

But, to buy a set of BB's at you local music shop...theyd come with no wax.

This comes from Gibson. I e-mailed them and asked them.[/quote']

I heard that Burstbucker pros are Wax potted and the Burstbuckers and not

• 10 years later...

Sorry I'm naive. I'd like to know if I wish to replace the covers on my Les Paul whether I need to actually order a neck and bridge cover? Are they different sizes? Or can I just order two covers without specific neck position's mentioned in the order?