Gibson Brands Forums

Solid state amps

Tim Plains

Hope at least one of you guys see the point of my post... (if AXE was here he surely would).

1896HenryFordsFirstCar.jpg

firstCar.jpg

bentley_continental_gt_priceless.jpg

I get it...

In the old days there were tube amps and they seemed pretty basic and simple: first 2 pics

Now they have new tube amps with all the bells and whistles - Botique amps: pic 3

Those old tube amps are classics and they are worth a LOT of money - in fact more than they were when they were new.

The 3rd pic shows amps that are expensive now, but have lost at least 1/2 their value as soon as you drive them off the lot and continue to loose value and will probably never be worth more than they are new.

I get it, I get it.

It's all just loudification and personal tastes.

I prefer the sound of valves to transistors for

getting bump and grind out of an electric guitar.

I prefer transistors (in an Ampeg) for bass.

My "Hi-Fi" uses two H||H 100w PA amps.

Horses for courses, and to each his own.

I get it...

In the old days there were tube amps and they seemed pretty basic and simple: first 2 pics

Now they have new tube amps with all the bells and whistles - Botique amps: pic 3

Those old tube amps are classics and they are worth a LOT of money - in fact more than they were when they were new.

The 3rd pic shows amps that are expensive now' date=' but have lost at least 1/2 their value as soon as you drive them off the lot and continue to loose value and will probably never be worth more than they are new.

I get it, I get it.[/quote']

Actually it was about how photo cameras have evolved#-o

:-

They'd have to make Tubes that don't burn out or Unbias, then make tube Amps have natural Compression and Gain that is Consistant at all volumes in order to take over the Solid State market. But then you'd have Tubes amps with Solid State Emulation.

Archived