Gibson Brands Forums

32 years ago today...

surfpup

Lynyrd Skynyrd's plane crashed into a Mississippi swamp.

This is probably my least favorite LS song, and yet it seems like the one to post in this case...

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

Hell, here are a few others ...

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

That has been the end of a lot of great rockers sadly.

CW

A lot? Really? I can only think of a few. And considering that they fly all the time... pretty low numbers I thought.

The Skynyrd crash was devastating to a lot of us in north Florida though - a great loss for sure.

The Skynyrd crash was devastating to a lot of us in north Florida though - a great loss for sure.

surfpup, thanks for bringing this memorial up man! You can state that the southern rock music of Lynyrd Skynyrd was universal, although they were strongly associated to Florida and the south of the US.

Calling it a great global loss is not exaggerated...;)

Amen.

Yeah, that wasn't the only challenge they faced - just sort of the icing on the cake.

There were crippling injuries from car crashes, personnel changes (when friends were the personnel) management issues like most any other successful band, all survived until the fuel ran out with nothing but trees below...

I was fortunate enough to see them play many times, I was even at the Fox Theater in Atlanta on the second night when they

recorded their live album.

If Ronnie had survived I wounder if they would still be touring.

I would also say they got me interested in playing guitar.

A lot? Really? I can only think of a few. And considering that they fly all the time... pretty low numbers I thought.

I saw them four times and I was at the last show in Greenville, SC. IMO it was the best show I saw them perform, Ronnie drank about a fifth of JD during the show. I woke up the next morning to the radio talking about the crash. Sad day for sure.

Archived