Gibson Brands Forums

I have a chance at getting a Gibson Custom Custom Shop CS-336 Plain Top

GibsonByBirth

my take - if you're not sure, i'd be telling him a straight swap or no deal. also, I have fallen in love with a number of guitars based on pics and the 'idea' of them, and then fallen straigh out of love when I actually played them, so I would advise definitely getting your hands on one before you consider any swap.

Can't help you with your trade or how the two parties might come to a value agreement, but I'm a huge fan off the 336/356 design.

For me, they've got all the balls and beef that I need for blues and rock, a wonderfully warm and woody neck pickup that "cleans up great" for jazz (and more) and a bridge pickup that's... a bit brighter than most people expect in a Gibson. For me, that's come to be an asset: you can get an almost Tele-like spank and snap from the bridge pickup, and coupled with the neck pickup you've got a huge tonal range with just a little knob twiddling. But, truth told I play most of my lead on the neck pickup of my CS-356. It just seems to be far richer and harmonically complex sounding on mine.

They're light and very comfortable too: typically under 7.5 lbs, and small -- much smaller than a 335, not much larger than an LP.

Perhaps that helps.

Can't help you with your trade or how the two parties might come to a value agreement' date=' but I'm a huge fan off the 336/356 design.

For me, they've got all the balls and beef that I need for blues and rock, a wonderfully warm and woody neck pickup that "cleans up great" for jazz (and more) and a bridge pickup that's... a bit brighter than most people expect in a Gibson. For me, that's come to be an asset: you can get an almost Tele-like spank and snap from the bridge pickup, and coupled with the neck pickup you've got a huge tonal range with just a little knob twiddling. But, truth told I play most of my lead on the neck pickup of my CS-356. It just seems to be far richer and harmonically complex sounding on mine.

They're light and very comfortable too: typically under 7.5 lbs, and small -- much smaller than a 335, not much larger than an LP.

Perhaps that helps.[/quote']

That helps alot. I needed that info. I sweetened the pot with about $200 woth of boss pedles, tuner and adapter.

I own a cherry burst flame top CS336. It is my second. The first one had to be returned to the factory due to a crack in the arched top. They crushed it, and told the dealer to "give him anything he wants" as a replacement. I took an ES335 due to the fact that it has a laminated top and would never crack. Turned out to be one of the worst guitars I've ever owned. My Epiphone Dot was great so I figured the real thing would be better. WRONG......The current CS336 I lucked in to for a song. It was a trade in - the guy had only had it for two weeks. I'll never let this one go even if the top cracks. I've owned a custom shop Gold Top in the past and it was a really good guitar in every respect but the CS336 is my favorite. Still it's a hard decision....... I did replace the tuners on the 336 with Gibson Grovers and install a graphite nut. For the price of a Custom Shop guitar it should have had those to begin with.

Archived