Gibson Brands Forums

Blackstar HT-5

djroge1

I had some time to kill so I went to the local GC and played around for a wee bit. I played 4 different Tele's and then I saw the HT-5 by Blackstar.

Plugged in a LP studio and played around with the amp a bit. It's got some heavy distortion and the dial is supposed to go from American Recitfier (mesa) to British Marshall. Both are very saturated distortion sounds.

I didn't play as long or as much with this amp as I'd have liked because there were some kids playing some metal stuff near by (showing off for his girlfriend) and I had to leave to pick up my wife at work.

For the price it was decent though if you like those heavy distorted sounds - go check them out.

As a Blackstar HT-5 ministack owner, I find it great to see an amp expert like you djroge1 trying out this new brand. However I can't fully agree with your final conclusion, as if this is an amp you reserve only for heavey distortion sounds. The HT-5 gives me a broad range of sounds, from a real nice clean sound(and I even compare this with my Fender princeton) towards a heavy distorted sound...

IMHO, for the price you've got yourself a polyvalent tube amp.

As DeVeeWee said, this is a versatile little amp. I mostly use the amp clean, getting the distortion from other boxes when I need it, although the high gain channel on the HT-5 is pretty good in itself and sometimes I use that too. BTW, mine is the mini stack, which is insanely loud for being 5W. Definitely a good amp, both clean and distorted. For the money, you can't go wrong. I'm even pondering whether I should get one more for a stereo setup...

DJ

--

As a Blackstar HT-5 ministack owner' date=' I find it great to see an amp expert like you djroge1 trying out this new brand. However I can't fully agree with your final conclusion, as if this is an amp you reserve only for heavey distortion sounds. The HT-5 gives me a broad range of sounds, from a real nice clean sound(and I even compare this with my Fender princeton) towards a heavy distorted sound...

IMHO, for the price you've got yourself a polyvalent [b']tube [/b]amp.

Hey De, I didn't mean for what I said to be a definative review. I would have liked to play it longer without other loud guitars right aroung me. I only briefly tried the clean sound.

What I tried to do in my short time playing was to hear the difference between the American and British sound. So please don't think of what I said as negative.

Also, thanks for compliment about amp expert, but IMHO I believe others here are actually more knowledgeable, but thanks (unless that was sarcasism.. then well)

When you guys say you use clean sounds on this amp, does this amp have a lot of headroom? or you mean playing at low volume?

My experience is that if you have 5 watts tube you either get cleans if the amp has a negative feedback resistor or you get the overdrive that a 5 watter will inevitably give you.

Hey De' date=' I didn't mean for what I said to be a definative review. I would have liked to play it longer without other loud guitars right aroung me. I only briefly tried the clean sound.

What I tried to do in my short time playing was to hear the difference between the American and British sound. So please don't think of what I said as negative.

Also, thanks for compliment about amp expert, but IMHO I believe others here are actually more knowledgeable, but thanks (unless that was sarcasism.. then well)[/quote']

No sarcasism djroge1, I meant what I wrote about you being an amp expert(for example, I'm not)and sure man I know your review wasn't as complete as you wanted it to be due to the circumstances at your local GC. I just wanted to state that for that price you've got yourself a nice 5W-tube amp with a broad range of sounds...and to end with DrJustice words, insanely loud for a 5 watter...

When you guys say you use clean sounds on this amp' date=' does this amp have a lot of headroom? or you mean playing at low volume?

My experience is that if you have 5 watts tube you either get cleans if the amp has a negative feedback resistor or you get the overdrive that a 5 watter will inevitably give you.[/quote']

It doesn't have the largest headroom. In my case, when playing it clean, it's not cranked up much. So I guess that relatively speaking I'm playing it at a fairly low volume and thus not pushing the headroom a lot. Still it's as loud as I dare while sitting right next to it (I like to take good care of my still fairly good hearing).

DJ

--

I play my HT-5 thru a 1970something Fender solid state combo thats had the power chassis removed and I converted to a speaker cab..........it's a closedback cab with 1x12" Jensen speaker.

The clean channel thru this rig breaks up beautifully anywhere from about 2 o'clock on up the dial.........

The breakup reminds me of actual Vintage Fender amps.......I LOVE IT !!!!!!!!

Headroom? eh, it's 5 watts.

On the OD channel, it sure doesn't take much (9 oclock will do it) to give your cound a good crunch, and not be "artificial sounding-or-too much" ...I use the ISF knob on about 1 o'clock, where it almost sounds like my antique Brittish Univox (pre-Japan) did.

GarysCam103.jpg

GarysCam102.jpg

I own the HV5 combo. You have to mess with the tone knobs (esp. the mid) while you're fiddling with that ISF knob to really find the sound you're looking for. I hooked my Alesis PicoVerb up to it for reverb/delay. But for only 5 watts, it's plenty loud. I haven't turned mine up past 9:00. Great little amp!

I didn't play as long or as much with this amp as I'd have liked because there were some kids playing some metal stuff near by (showing off for his girlfriend) and I had to leave to pick up my wife at work.

I was there not to long ago... a kid had a 50W Mesa turned al the way up all gain... I couldnt hear myself think let alone play... when ppl o that it annoys the sh*t out of me

Archived