Gibson Brands Forums

Songs in your head

Johnt

I'll pray for you. Here goes:

Second verse' date=' same as the first!

Amen.

MWAAAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA.........![/quote']

I get Herman's Hermits stuck in my head...but it's the song "There's A Kind Of Hush"... been there for YEARS!! (I don't DARE add it to my repertoire!!).

Bob

I get Herman's Hermits stuck in my head...but it's the song "There's A Kind Of Hush"... been there for YEARS!! (I don't DARE add it to my repertoire!!).

Bob

Do it. It's a good song.

Speaking of Mr Noone, give a re-listen to "Don't go out into the Rain" and tell me the gates of Heaven don't rattle a little when that 12 string bursts forth.

I've found myself noodling around and playing songs that would maybe not fit in a typical acoustic repertoire and found they are really good songs... we just have the recorded version ingrained in our mind so deeply it's hard to imagine the song otherwise.

Dig through a stack of old 45s and choose a half dozen and try them 'unplugged'. You will be surprised what you will come up with.

Now if I could sing.....

I've found myself noodling around and playing songs that would maybe not fit in a typical acoustic repertoire and found they are really good songs... we just have the recorded version ingrained in our mind so deeply it's hard to imagine the song otherwise.

Now if I could sing.....

You're right.. last week someone asked about the Simply Red song, "Holding Back The Tears", and so I looked at it, listened to it and added it to my song list. A song I'd never thought about.

Sometimes they get stuck there for the wrong reasons.

My first ever girlfriend's mum took me in and gave me a roof waaaay back in about '69, and I stayed there for several happy years. Couple of years later (whilst we were doing Floyd and Hendrix and Zeppelin and stuff) she heard a song on the radio, or rather.....

.....she MIS-heard the song.

Harold "Lally" Stott penned a song called "Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep".

It was taken up by a Scottish folk-pop group called Middle Of The Road, working in Italy at the time.

The song became a hit on the continent, then a hit in the UK as returning holidaymakers bought it home.

It nearly flopped in the UK when Mac and Katie Kissoon released a version just before MOTR, but aided by the patronage of radio DJ Tony Blackburn it became a massive UK hit, reaching #1 for five weeks in June 1971.

(The Kissoon version didn't chart in the UK, but did reach #20 on the Billboard Hot 100 sometime that year)

The song was painfully banaal and trite, the main lyric was something like:-

Last night I woke up and my baby was gone.....

.....Ooooh, Eeeeh, chirpy chirpy cheep cheep.

Forgettable in the extreme - except that she kept singing:-

Ooooh, Eeeeh, Erfa Nefertiti

I will take those lyrics to my dying breath. So irritatingly wrong, so pointlessly meaningless.

And so darned stuck in my head for some forty years with no sign of fading from memory.

I remember hearing people sing along with the lyrics so far off that it is hysterical. Remember way back all the different lyrics for Louie Louie. It was even banned from the radio in some areas. I has made Weird Al a lot of money though.

Archived