Gibson Brands Forums

Is it worth fixing?

briangg57

I have a chance to buy a Gibson SJ-D very, very cheap. From the serial #, it appears to be a 1970 but it is possible that it is a 1971. It needs about $700.00 worth of repairs. The finish does have some crazing but I was told that it would be a very nice guitar after the repairs are done. Do you guys think that this guitar is worth the cost of repairs?[blink]

$700 seems to indicate MAJOR repairs. What kind of repairs does it need? BTW...one of the guitars I own is a 1972 SJ-D...mine's a natural finish, a photo of it can be seen in this YouTube video link of mine:

(The guitar in the audio is a J-45, not the SJ as I the J-45 is new and I don't have a photo of me playing it yet.)

My SJ is a great guitar, but like many Norlin era guitars it has had some issues over the years that I've repaired over the years since I bought it new. Mine is and has always been a great playing and looking guitar, but some Norlin era instruments have had some issues that rendering them a buyer beware status. Some are great. Some are not. Inconsistency has been the story with Norlin era instruments. Personally, $700 seems steep for repairs upon just buying the instrument from the era. There are some out there from the era that can be had for $800-$1000 that don't need any repairs IMHO. This is still a Norlin era instrument as opposed to 1930s to 60s instrument where $700 in repairs might make sense. I'm concerned that after investing $700 (for what) plus purchase price you'll have heavily repaired Norlin era instrument that won't have much value.

What repairs does it need. BTW...I may not be able to respond back to you for 24 hours or so.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

i have a 76 hummingbird that i knew needed some work done when i bought it. It turned out to need a lot more work done than i'd anticipated. I ended up doing it all - for quite a bit of $$$. That was about 2-3 years ago. The guitar's played beautifully since then and sounds great.

I think the neck's starting to pull up a little now but i try not to think about it too much. I'm guessing i'm going to get another few years out of it before it needs some more attention.

The guitar's excellent but given the amount of money i've put into it i'd probably have chosen differently had i the chance to do it over. ymmv but definitely beware, i wouldn't want to be into it a whole lot more than $1k (including the repairs)

$700 seems to indicate MAJOR repairs. What kind of repairs does it need? BTW...one of the guitars I own is a 1972 SJ-D...mine's a natural finish' date=' a photo of it can be seen in this YouTube video link of mine:

(The guitar in the audio is a J-45, not the SJ as I the J-45 is new and I don't have a photo of me playing it yet.)

My SJ is a great guitar, but like many Norlin era guitars it has had some issues over the years that I've repaired over the years since I bought it new. Mine is and has always been a great playing and looking guitar, but some Norlin era instruments have had some issues that rendering them a buyer beware status. Some are great. Some are not. Inconsistency has been the story with Norlin era instruments. Personally, $700 seems steep for repairs upon just buying the instrument from the era. There are some out there from the era that can be had for $800-$1000 that don't need any repairs IMHO. This is still a Norlin era instrument as opposed to 1930s to 60s instrument where $700 in repairs might make sense. I'm concerned that after investing $700 (for what) plus purchase price you'll have heavily repaired Norlin era instrument that won't have much value.

What repairs does it need. BTW...I may not be able to respond back to you for 24 hours or so.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff[/quote']

I can get the guitar for $200.00. The repairs are, remove and reset neck, $350.00. Repair probable damage to finish when the neck comes off $75.00 to $150.00.remove and re-glue bridge $120.00. The frets are not worn badly but are very low. If it needs a re-fret that will be $300.00. Re-glue pickguard $50.00. Does this seem reasonable prices for the work to be done? I know that it is a lot of work but just wondering if I should get other prices. The trouble is that this guy is fantastic and I would have to do some searching to find someone as good to even give me a price.

I can get the guitar for $200.00. The repairs are' date=' remove and reset neck, $350.00. Repair probable damage to finish when the neck comes off $75.00 to $150.00.remove and re-glue bridge $120.00. The frets are not worn badly but are very low. If it needs a re-fret that will be $300.00. Re-glue pickguard $50.00. Does this seem reasonable prices for the work to be done? I know that it is a lot of work but just wondering if I should get other prices. The trouble is that this guy is fantastic and I would have to do some searching to find someone as good to even give me a price.[/quote']

$200 is actually too cheap to not buy it just to take a chance with it. Its still a Gibson guitar.

I have to actually wonder though about the neck reset. Most of the 70's Gibsons simply have higher action than prior year models on them from the 10th fret to the bridge. Is this all that is the matter. Or, is there something more? Unless its really really high, a neck reset won't stop that...if that's what at issue. On the other hand, my '72 SJ's neck once decided to warp on its own once and Gibson had to reheat the neck to get it back to its shape and factory angle. Its been fine since for about fifteen years. Some funky things those 70s Gibsons at times although when they're repaired well they can be great guitars.

Also, if the bridge is pulling up that may be (actually or for sure is) the cause of action being off. I'm not sure how anyone can tell an instrument needs a neck reset if the bridge is pulling up? It would seem first the bridge would need to be fixed before the neck can be evaluated for a reset (unless it is wacko warped like occurred on mine...which isn't likely.) Re-affixing the bridge, (fixing the bridge plate-see below), and filing the saddle should restore the string angle on the neck to its typical 70's Gibson higher height...unless, of course, it really needs a neck reset.

If the bridge is coming up and needs reglueing...that might be something serious...like the bridge plate underneath is loose causing the top to not be flat...and the bridge to pull up That can be more than $120 to fix, but a good repair person can certainly do it. My 72 SJ has low frets...compared to today's Gibsons, but it always did even when new, so just because they're low they may not be worn. I'd recommend basing if they're worn only if they're not doing the job of fretting anymore or doing something strange like pulling up. They may too have just originally been low. Not sure why the pickguard would be falling off...unless the bridge plate causing the body to not be flat at the tail of the large SJ pickguard is also causing the end of the pickguard to come up. By re-glueing it, you actually mean resticking it with double sided tape...something a good repairman can easily do. (Glue plugs the pores of the wood...and hurts the instrument's sound.)

My recommendation for a repairman by the way is to find out if there is an authorized Gibson repairman in your region (shown somewhere on Gibsons site) and then contact him directly to see if you can bring the instrument directly to him rather than work through a music store. He may charge you less or what he'd charge the music store who in turn would then charge you on top of that. Or, perhaps KSDaddy on this site can do the repairs for you if you both can figure out how that would work. What I'm trying to say is use a reliable repairman and someone you can talk the repairs over with based on how the guitar originally was and should be repaired back to.

Keep us posted. $200 for a Gibson...though and one that KS Daddy is willing to buy if you don't, seems like a steal even if some repairs are needed if you don't mind getting it done.

QM

Thank for your replies. I'm told that I definitely need a neck set but the re-fretting is only a possibility. The neck does have your weird warping syndrome you mentioned. I realize $200.00 for a gibson is dirt cheap but I need a min. of about $600.00 in repairs, so I'll be into it for at least $800.00 and if I need the re-fret which I kind of doubt, I'll be at $1100.00 So I guess most of you think I should go for it, right?

Not really. If the guitar is as unplayable as you say...neck really weirded out and the bridge pulling up (likely the bridge plate underneath and the top pulling up), its basically $200 for a guitar that is unplayable. Plus, its not like putting $800 into it will make it a guitar worth $5000 in the vintage market. It'll be worth about $700 to $1000 after the repairs, if the repairs are perfect, and it'll still be hard to find a buyer due to the limited market for 70s Gibsons. Keep in mind, I have my '72 Gibson and have put repairs into it over the decades I've had it to keep it in tip top shape and its a great guitar, but its also been through thick and thin with me as a player. That isn't the same as just buying a non-playable guitar and then fixing it up and hoping it comes out okay. You could just go a buy a different one in good shape for the same money or put it towards a different guitar.

If its in need of as much repair as you say...then I wouldn't do it. With this in mind. I'd let KS Daddy buy it instead if he's really interested...he's a repairman and can fix it for only his time spent on it...which is a different thang. Just my opinion.

QM

i'd say it's time to visit the ATM, for $200 you shouldn't pass it up. i'd actually forgotten it's been so long but my HB had the warped neck too. Cost about the same as you'd be paying to fix. (i didn't worry about the finish/appearance though at all).

My guitar needed:

- refret

- new bridge

- fix warped neck (basically sanded it down a lot)

- neck reset

- numerous cracks repaired, top, back, sides.

It was much more than i'd anticipated. After learned what all it needed i stashed it in my back room for a while and tried to forget about it. I got it fixed a few months later and it's been great. For $200 buy it. if you don't want it sell it to ksdaddy for $210; call it done and go out for a free cheeseburger lunch :-

For nearly the same money you'll probably wind up spending, you should be able to find an early Bozeman J45, or a J30. No matter how you slice it, if they are decent representations, those are likely to be vastly better guitars than just about anything from the Norlin era.

well, I got her. I brought the lady the work order from my luthier and when she saw it, she said she wouldn't bother fixing it and if I cleaned her gutters, I could have it. Well 25 minutes later, it was mine. It has the original hard case also, which is in much better shape than the guitar. Looks like I'm taking a trip back to my luthier and hopefully when the work is done, it won't need a re-fret.

well' date=' I got her. I brought the lady the work order from my luthier and when she saw it, she said she wouldn't bother fixing it and if I cleaned her gutters, I could have it. Well 25 minutes later, it was mine. It has the original hard case also, which is in much better shape than the guitar. Looks like I'm taking a trip back to my luthier and hopefully when the work is done, it won't need a re-fret. [/quote']

Good Luck with the project.

Needless to say, I'm sure everyone wants to see before and after pictures.

Archived