Gibson Brands Forums

Per request... (the Poor Man's Custom Truss-Rod Cover)

Ian Martin

lp-02.jpg

I've seen some guys who will custom engrave 'em on eBay and stuff, with the fancy script, for like $60. I can't really afford that for a mere truss-rod cover, so I came up with my own painfully simple one.

I've only done it once and it's not perfect, but with practice you could make it look hella awesome.

It's just a blank truss-rod cover with a metallic silver Sharpie. Once the Sharpie is dry, in order to prevent smudging, I used a quick spray or two of that Krylon brand gloss lacquer spray paint to protect it. In the light, it's obviously not going to be the same shiny consistency of the Gibson finish, but it does the job.

I suggest practicing on someone else first, as you obviously only get one shot.

Enjoy.

Another way to go would be to take a blank down to the mall, there are always a couple of places that do the personalized license plate frames. I saw a Squire "Daisy Rock" in the store with the name of the previous owners name engraved on the cover.

And no, I wasn't looking to trade a Lester for a Daisy Rock, just in case you were thinking it. =P~

Another way to go would be to take a blank down to the mall' date=' there are always a couple of places that do the personalized license plate frames. I saw a Squire "Daisy Rock" in the store with the name of the previous owners name engraved on the cover.

And no, I wasn't looking to trade a Lester for a Daisy Rock, just in case you were thinking it. =P~ [/quote']

Nice! That's a brilliant idea!

Archived